Subject: Software and Database for Review

From: Steve Heller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 14:46:52 -0500 (EST)

10 January, 1995

Subject:  Computer Software for Review

     As the Software Review Editor for the ACS Journal of
Chemical Information and Computer Science (JCICS) I often get
software for review in the journal.   I have 11 new software  and
database products. I am looking for people who are willing to
review these software/databases products.  In return for the
review which is published in JCICS you get to keep the software
or database.  The review should be completed in 1-3 months.  The
length of the review is 4-10 double spaced typed pages.  Sample
reviews can be found in most of the recent issues of JCICS.

     Please try to give me some (short) reason to choose you over
another person. DO NOT SAY YOU WILL REVIEW ANYTHING I HAVE
AVAILABLE.  Messages with such replies are trashed!

     I have tried this approach for about the past four years and
it is working reasonably well. (REMINDER: For those who haven't
finished your reviews of software sent months and months ago,
this last sentence does not apply to you!)  As a result, I am
continuing this new method to find reviewers using this e-
mail/user group system.  I reserve the right to abandon this if
it is a problem, or inappropriate.  I will not notify people if I
have found a reviewer.  If you don't hear from me within a few
days I have chosen someone else to review the particular package.

     As I get many, many, (too many) replies to this message,
please do not respond after 12 January 1995 (Thursday), as I am
sure the software will be gone by then.

     I can be reached on Internet ([email-masked] or
[email-masked]).

     PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE AN STREET ADDRESS, PHONE, and FAX
NUMBER!!!  (I send the software by Federal Express.)  Without
this information I WILL NOT consider your request.

     Steve Heller

The packages I now have are:

1.  Derwent CD-ROM, Chemical Innovations Series: Food & Food
Technology (January 1992 - June 1994).  The CD-ROM comes from the
Derwent World Patent Index (WPI) database.  Requires a CD-ROM
drive compatible with ISO9660 and an IBM compatible PC with
Windows 3.1 or higher or DOS 3.0 or higher and 512Kb of available
RAM.

2.  Derwent CD-ROM, Chemical Innovations Series: Cosmetics
(January 1992 - June 1994).  The CD-ROM comes from the Derwent
World Patent Index (WPI) database.  Requires a CD-ROM drive
compatible with ISO9660 and an IBM compatible PC with Windows 3.1
or higher or DOS 3.0 or higher and 512Kb of available RAM.

3.  Derwent CD-ROM, Chemical Innovations Series: Household and
General Cleaning (January 1992 - June 1994).  The CD-ROM comes
from the Derwent World Patent Index (WPI) database.  Requires a
CD-ROM drive compatible with ISO9660 and an IBM compatible PC
with Windows 3.1 or higher or DOS 3.0 or higher and 512Kb of
available RAM.

4.MLAB, DOS Version V from Civilized Software. MLAB is an 
advanced interactive system for mathematical and statistical
modeling.  It capabilities include curve-fitting, differential
equations, statistics, and graphics.  Requires DOS 3.x or higher,
a 80486DX or high chip, a high density 3 1/2 high floppy drive,
and 3 MB of hard disk space.

5. EndNote Plus2 for the Mac from Niles & Associates. Organizes
your references and builds bibliographies in your word processor.
Requires a Mac and System 6.02 or higher, a hard disk, and 750K
of free memory.

6. EndLink for the Mac from Niles & Associates. Imports
references downloaded from online services or CD-ROM's into
EndNote Plus2. Requires a Mac and System 6.02 or higher, a hard
disk, and 750K of free memory.

7. Gardners Electronic Handbook on CD-ROM for Windows from
Ashgate Publishing.  Requires an IBM PC or compatible with 2MB
RAM, Windows 3.1 or higher or OS/2/2/1, a  mouse, a CD-ROM drive.

8. Industrial Surfactants Electronic Handbook on CD-ROM for
Windows from Ashgate Publishing. Requires an IBM PC or compatible
with 2MB RAM, Windows 3.1 or higher or OS/2/2/1, a  mouse, a CD-
ROM drive.

9. Chemistry 4D-Draw , version 2.0 from ChemInnovation Software.  
This is the Mac version of the ChemNameStr program which converts
names to structures. 

10. ClogP, release 0.9.9b program for the Mac from BioByte.  This
is a program for calculating log P (octanol/water) partition
coefficients. Requires a Mac with a 68020 or faster chip, and
System 7, 1.9 Mb of hard disk , and 1Mb of memory.

11. British Pharmacopoeia (Veterinary), Version 1.0, on CD-ROM
from UNIPUB.  requires an IBM PC or compatible with a 80486 chip
or higher and Windows 3.1 or higher.

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin McConnell)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 18:14:01 -0500

Steve,
	I would be very interested in trying out the new endnote and
endlink programs.  I think you might agree that the two need to evaluated 
together.  Any way I am a fourth year graduate student at Wesleyan
University working in the area of Molecular Biophysics with Dr.Dave
Beveridge.  I have been
using endnote for the past four years now and I am extreemly familar with
endnote and plug-in module for Word.  I am currently working on sections
of my thesis and will be importing references I have gotten from STN a
Chem. Abst. data base so I would like to use both programs.

Thank You for your time and attention

Kevin McConnell
Wesleyan University
Department of MB&B
Lawn Ave
Middletown CT. 06459

phone (203) 685-2777
fax   (203) 685-2211