Subject: Teaching Comp Chem

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 14:13:59 +1000 (EET)

Hi folks,

I hope some people are interested in this.

We have recently received a grant from the Australian Government funded
Committee for the Advancement of University Teaching (CAUT) for a project 
entittled "Learning modules for computational chemistry over AARNET".
The aim is to assist the teaching of computational chemistry, particularly
in Australia, by making materials available over the net. Students will
access learning materials over the net and run programs on various
machines in various places. The people concerned are myself, Margaret Wong 
(Swinburne), Ted Lloyd (VCP, Monash) and Brian Yates (Tasmania). Initially
the materials will be available to students in the four institutions,
later we hope to make them available through Australia and then the world.

The idea is not to develop whole courses but to develop modules which
can be incorporated into courses with different objectives in different 
places. The level is at final year undergraduate and beginning graduate,
including B Sc Honours. The needs of straight chemistry students and
pharmacy students will be considered.

We are interested in knowing whether anyone else anywhere in the world
is doing anything similar. We know of some efforts at teaching comp
chem to undergraduates in the US, such at the Rev Comp Chem article
and other material discussed in sci.chem and CCL, but none of this
seems to have the flexibility we are seeking. We are also happy to
keep people informed of our progress as we go along. 

The project is funded for 1995 and we will be appointing a Research
Associate soon to assist in coordinating activities of the project, 
collecting relevant materials, writing course materials in WWW format, 
and installing software at the four universities involved in the 
project. The person we are seeking clearly needs to be multi-skilled
in chemistry, computing and writing. If anyone (we would have to 
appoint an Australian resident) is interested in this position, 
please e-mail me. 

Cheers, Brian.
-- 
        Associate Professor Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke)
School of Chemistry and Earth Sciences, Northern Territory University,
Box 40146, Casuarina, NT 0811, Australia.  Phone 089-466702
e-mail: [email-masked]  or [email-masked]