Subject: chemically cognisant E-mailers

From: [email-masked] (Rzepa,Henry)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 14:55:16 +0000

As a result of the recent ECCC conference, and with others planned,
I find one vital tool that is missing are E-mail programs that might support
chemical MIME enclosures.

In brief, I would like to enclose, lets say a molfile or a pdb file, and have
it received at the other end in an instantly openable form, either within the
e-mail window (wishful thinking; lets wait for OpenDoc) or with an
external helper such as RasMol.  This can be done now within say
Mac-to-Mac e-mails, but would not work with Mac-to-Windows, or
Windows-to-Unix etc etc.

I have tried some experiments with Mac Eudora. However, the only way I could
get it to work was to manually insert entries such as the one below. Even
then, a bit of Resedit hacking is needed!  Clearly, we need a custom job
done! Does anyone know of a mailer which might be user configured to
do this? Indeed, is there a "most common" mailer in use. Would
Eudora be such a beast?  Or is the chemistry mailer market fragmented into
an entire variety, ranging from elm on Unix, ccmail in commerce, etc etc?

--========================_13836636==_
Content-Type: chemical/x-chemdraw; name="scheme.cd"; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="scheme.cd"

scheme.cd

 54 57  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 24
   -4.2967    5.0233    0.0000 C   0  0  0  0  0
etc etc

Dr Henry Rzepa, Department of Chemistry, Imperial College, LONDON SW7 2AY;
[email-masked] via Eudora 2.1.1, Tel  (44) 171 594 5774 or 594 5809.
Fax: (44) 171 594 5804. World-Wide-Web URL:
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa.html