Subject: Patenting of Molecular Modeling?

From: [email-masked] (Mike Mitchell)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 95 09:30:42 -0500

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has read a patent
application from Baxter Diagnostics with International Application
Number PCT/US91/03009 and titled "High Affinity Antibodies To Small
Peptides."  From my reading of this patent, Baxter is attempting to
patent the use of molecular modeling for predicting mutations which
would enhance the affinities of antibodies for antigens.  I'm not a
patent attorney, but it appears to me that granting of this patent
would prohibit anyone else from using molecular modeling to enhance
antibody affinities and might be extended to prohibit anyone else
>from using molecular modeling for predicting any protein mutations
that would enhance the performance of that protein.

     How do others on CCL feel about having to pay Baxter or some
other corporate entity a royalty so that one can practice one's
scientific craft?

     Any (All?) opinions can be e-mailed to me directly so as to limit
the number of responses on CCL.  I'll post a summary of responses.
Please get and READ the patent application before responding so as
to express an informed opinion.

     Mike Mitchell
     Becton Dickinson Research Center
     RTP, NC  27709
     [email-masked]