Subject: Re: Security breach?

From: Mr Martin J Hargreaves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 11:58:31 +0000 (GMT)

I don't think there will be any loss of network freedom, any more 
than there was when the "packet sniffing" stuff was in the papers. Here 
is the CIAC advisory. Further discussion on this topic should not be 
addresses to CCL, but I'm sending this as a reply and including the 
official info so hopefully that will be an end to it. There is dicussion 
of this on bugtraq (mail to [email-masked]).

	Sorry about th off-topic posting.

		Regards,

			Martin

----------------------------------------------------------------
| Martin Hargreaves, 		            [email-masked]|
| Undergraduate Computational Chemist    		       |
| WWW Server Admin                 http://www.chem.surrey.ac.uk|
----------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 11:32:28 -0800
From: Steve Weeber <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: CIAC Advisory F-08: IP Address Spoofing and Hijacked Session Attacks

            _____________________________________________________
                       The U.S. Department of Energy
                    Computer Incident Advisory Capability
                           ___  __ __    _     ___
                          /       |     /_\   /
                          \___  __|__  /   \  \___
            _____________________________________________________

                               ADVISORY NOTICE

            Internet Address Spoofing and Hijacked Session Attacks 

January 23, 1994 1100 PST                                        Number F-08
_____________________________________________________________________________

PROBLEM:       Sophisticated new attacks on Internet systems based on
               forged IP packets and hijacked login sessions.
PLATFORMS:     Primarily Unix systems connected to the Internet, although
               all systems that support session authentication based on IP
               addresses are potentially vulnerable.  Systems protected by
               packet filtering firewalls may also be vulnerable.
DAMAGE:        Unauthorized privileged access to systems.
SOLUTION:      Enable router packet filtering on inbound Internet traffic,
               and protect systems against root compromise.
_____________________________________________________________________________

VULNERABILITY  These attacks represent a significant new threat to Internet
ASSESSMENT:    systems.  Without proactive measures in place, these attacks
               are very difficult to detect or defend against.  CIAC strongly
               recommends sites implement the solutions described below as
               soon as is possible.
_____________________________________________________________________________

             Critical Information about the Internet Attacks

CIAC has received information regarding a new attack technique on systems
connected to the Internet.  These attacks are based on the exploitation of
two separate vulnerabilites: forging or spoofing the source address of IP
packets and hijacking already established login sessions.  Although these
vulnerabilities are currently being used together to attack systems, each
may also be used on its own.  Both of these vulnerabilities must be
addressed in order to keep systems secure.

IP Spoofing Attacks
-------------------

  Description
  ----------- 
  The first vulnerability, spoofing IP packets, allows an intruder on the
  Internet to effectively impersonate a local system's IP address.  If other
  local systems perform session authentication based on the IP address of a
  connection (e.g. rlogin with .rhosts or /etc/hosts.equiv files under Unix),
  they will believe incoming connections from the intruder actually originate
  from a local "trusted host" and will not require a password.  This technique
  is especially damaging when root connections are permitted with no password.

  Services that are vulnerable to forged IP packets include:
     SunRPC & NFS
     BSD Unix "r" commands, including rlogin
     Services secured by TCP Wrappers using source address access control
     X Windows

  It is possible for forged packets to penetrate firewalls based on filtering
  routers if the router is not configured to block incoming packets with
  source addresses in the local domain.  It is important to note that this
  attack is possible even if no session packets can be routed back to the
  attacker.  Note also that this attack is not based on the source routing
  option of the IP protocol.

  The IP spoofing attacks are very similar to those described in section 2
  of "Security Problems in the TCP/IP Protocol Suite" by Steve Bellovin.  This
  paper was published in _Computer Communication Review_ vol. 19, no. 2 (April
  1989), pages 32-48.  It is also available via anonymous FTP from
  research.att.com in the file /dist/internet_security/ipext.ps.Z.
  Additional information is available in the paper "A Weakness in the 4.2BSD
  Unix TCP/IP Software," by Robert T. Morris.  It is also available via
  anonymous FTP from research.att.com in the file
  /dist/internet_security/117.ps.Z.

  Detection
  ---------
  IP spoofing attacks are currently very difficult to detect.  If your site
  has the ability to monitor network traffic on the external interface of your
  Internet router, examine incoming traffic for packets with both a source
  and destination address in your local domain.  Such packets should never be
  found entering your site from the Internet and are a strong indicator that
  an IP spoofing attack is in progress.

  Users within the Deparment of Energy (DOE) and Department of Defense (DOD) 
  communities may obtain a new version of the Network Intrusion Detector (NID)
  with added features allowing the detection of IP spoofing attacks.  Please
  contact Bob Palasek, NID Project Leader, at (510) 422-8527 or
  [email-masked], for more information.

  Additionally, two freely available software tools are known to allow this
  type of packet monitoring on Unix systems: tcpdump and netlog.  The tcpdump
  package is available via anonymous FTP from ftp.ee.lbl.gov in the file 
  /tcpdump.tar.Z (MD5 checksum 4D8975B18CAD40851F382DDFC9BD638F).  When built
  and installed, the command

     # tcpdump src net X.Y and dst net X.Y

  will print all packets found that claim to have both a source and
  destination IP address on the X.Y network.  The netlog package, developed at
  Texas A&M University, is available via anonymous FTP at coast.cs.purdue.edu
  in the file /pub/tools/unix/TAMU/netlog-1.2.tar.gz (MD5 checksum
  1DD62E7E96192456E8C75047C38E994B).  When built and installed, it may be
  invoked with the command

     # tcplogger -b | extract -U -e 'srcnet=X.Y.0.0 && dstnet=X.Y.0.0 {print}'

  to scan for packets with a source and destination address on the same
  network.

  Prevention
  ----------
  Currently, the best defense against IP spoofing attacks is to filter packets
  as they enter your router from the Internet, blocking any packet that claims
  to have originated inside your local domain.  This feature, known as an
  input filter, is currently known to be supported by several brands of
  routers:

     Bay Networks/Wellfleet, version 5 and later
     Cabletron with LAN Secure
     Cisco, RIS software version 9.21 and later
     Livingston
     NSC

  If your current router hardware does not support packet filtering on
  inbound traffic, a second router may be installed between the existing
  router and the Internet connection.  This second router may then be used
  to filter spoofed IP packets with an output filter.

Hijacked Session Attacks
------------------------

  Description
  -----------
  The second attack currently being observed involves the use of a tool
  called "tap" to take over existing login sessions on a system.  This tool
  allows an intruder with root access to gain control of any other session
  currently active on the system, executing commands as if they had been
  typed by the owner of the session.  If the user session has previously
  performed a telnet or rlogin to another system, then the intruder may gain
  access to the remote system as well, bypassing any authentication normally
  required for access.

  Currently, the tap tool is only known to affect SunOS 4.1.x systems,
  although the system features that allow the attack are not unique to Sun
  systems.

  Detection
  ---------
  The owner of the hijacked session may notice unusual activity, including
  the appearance of commands typed by the intruder.  Users should be
  notified of this possibility and encouraged to report any suspicious
  activity.

  Prevention
  ----------
  The primary defense against this attack is to prevent root compromise
  through careful system management, installation of security patches, and
  network controls such as firewalls.

  The tap tool currently in use makes use of SunOS loadable module support
  to dynamically modify the operation of the running Unix kernel.  CIAC
  recommends that sites not requiring loadable modules disable this feature
  on their SunOS 4.1.x systems.

  To do so, edit the kernel configuration file found in the 
  /sys/`arch -k`/conf directory and comment out the following line with a
  "#" character:

     options        VDDRV           # loadable modules

  Then build and install the new kernel:

     # /etc/config CONFIG_NAME
     # cd ../CONFIG_NAME
     # make
     # cp /vmunix /vmunix.orig
     # cp vmunix /
     # sync; sync; sync

  Finally, reboot the system to activate the new kernel.  Note that
  intruders have been known to regenerate their own kernels and reboot
  systems to install the functionality they desire.  The authenticity of the
  running kernel should be verified after any unexplained system reboots.

_____________________________________________________________________________

CIAC wishes to acknowledge the contributions of the CERT Coordination
Center, Eric Allman, Steve Bellovin, Keith Bostic, Bill Cheswick, Mike
Karels, and Tsutomu Shimomura for their assistance in the construction of
this bulletin.
_____________________________________________________________________________

For emergencies and off-hour assistance, DOE and DOE contractor sites can
contact CIAC 24-hours a day via an integrated voicemail and SKYPAGE number.
To use this service, dial 1-510-422-8193 or 1-800-759-7243 (SKYPAGE). The
primary SKYPAGE PIN number, 8550070 is for the CIAC duty person. A second
PIN, 8550074 is for the CIAC Project Leader.  CIAC's FAX number is
510-423-8002, and the STU-III number is 510-423-2604.  Send E-mail to
[email-masked].

Previous CIAC notices, anti-virus software, and other information are
available on the Internet via anonymous FTP from ciac.llnl.gov (IP address
128.115.19.53).

CIAC has several self-subscribing mailing lists for electronic publications:
1.  CIAC-BULLETIN for Advisories, highest priority - time critical
    information, and Bulletins, important computer security information;
2.  CIAC-NOTES for Notes, a collection of computer security articles;
3.  SPI-ANNOUNCE for official news about Security Profile Inspector (SPI)
    software updates, new features, distribution and availability;
4.  SPI-NOTES, for discussion of problems and solutions regarding the use of
    SPI products.

Our mailing lists are managed by a public domain software package called
ListProcessor, which ignores E-mail header subject lines. To subscribe (add
yourself) to one of our mailing lists, send requests of the following form:

subscribe list-name LastName, FirstName PhoneNumber

as the E-mail message body, substituting CIAC-BULLETIN, CIAC-NOTES,
SPI-ANNOUNCE or SPI-NOTES for "list-name" and valid information for
"LastName" "FirstName" and "PhoneNumber."  Send to: [email-masked]
not to: [email-masked]

e.g.,
subscribe ciac-notes O'Hara, Scarlett 404-555-1212 x36
subscribe ciac-bulletin O'Hara, Scarlett 404-555-1212 x36

You will receive an acknowledgment containing address and initial PIN, and
information on how to change either of them, cancel your subscription, or get
help.
_____________________________________________________________________________

PLEASE NOTE: Many users outside of the DOE and ESnet computing communities
receive CIAC bulletins. If you are not part of these communities, please
contact your agency's response team to report incidents. Your agency's team
will coordinate with CIAC. The Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams
(FIRST) is a world-wide organization. A list of FIRST member organizations
and their constituencies can be obtained by sending E-mail to
[email-masked] with an empty subject line and a message body
containing the line: send first-contacts.

This document was prepared as an account of work sponsored by an agency of
the United States Government. Neither the United States Government nor the
University of California nor any of their employees, makes any warranty,
expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for
the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, or
process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately
owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process,
or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not
necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring
by the United States Government or the University of California. The views
and opinions of authors expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect
those of the United States Government nor the University of California, and
shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

---

From: Mr Martin J Hargreaves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 11:58:31 +0000 (GMT)

Regards,

			Martin

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 11:32:28 -0800
From: Steve Weeber <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: CIAC Advisory F-08: IP Address Spoofing and Hijacked Session Attacks

                               ADVISORY NOTICE

IP Spoofing Attacks
-------------------

  Description
  ----------- 

  Detection
  ---------

  Prevention
  ----------

Hijacked Session Attacks
------------------------

  Description
  -----------

  Detection
  ---------

  Prevention
  ----------

e.g.,