Subject: Conference : QM Simulations in Biology

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 15:50:28 +0100

================================================================================
*                    CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT - LAST CIRCULAR                   *
================================================================================
*     QUANTUM MECHANICAL SIMULATION METHODS FOR STUDYING BIOLOGICAL SYSTEMS    *
================================================================================

Place and date:

                         Centre de Physique des Houches
                                     FRANCE
                                  2-7 May 1995

Abstract:

An important area of current theoretical research is the examination of the
structure and the function of biological macromolecules such as proteins and
nucleic acids. For many phenomena, such as the investigation of the
equilibrium structures of a biological polymer, simulations based upon classical
mechanics are sufficiently accurate. However, in other cases, such as the
simulation of electron transfer or of enzymatic reactions, it is necessary
to use quantum mechanical methods. The aim of the workshop is to assess the
state-of-the-art in the field and to highlight areas for future research by
bringing together reseachers who develop quantum mechanical simulation methods
and apply them to biological systems.

Topics:

Ab Initio Molecular Dynamics; Quantum Dynamical Simulations; Electronic
Structure Calculations; Density Matrix Methods; Electron and Proton
Transfer Reactions.

Invited Speakers:

H.J.C. Berendsen (Groningen), P.L. Dutton (Pennsylvania), N.C. Handy
(Cambridge), J.T. Hynes (Boulder), B. Lesyng (Warszawa), J.N. Onuchic
(UCSD), M. Parrinello (Stuttgart), A. St.Amant (Ontario), K. Schulten
(Urbana-Champaign), A. Warshel (UCLA), M.C. Zerner (Gainesville).

Organizing Committee:

D.J. Bicout (IBS, Grenoble), M.J. Field (IBS, Grenoble), A. Szabo (NIH,
Bethesda).

Information for Participants:

Les Houches is a resort village in the Chamonix valley of the French Alps.
Established in 1951, the school is situated in a mountain village surrounded
by meadows and woods at an elevation of 1000m. It is ideally located for
mountaineering, skiing or touring as well as for intellectual pursuits.

The fee of 3000 FF includes board, lodging at the centre during the workshop
and a copy of the proceedings. Attendance is limited to 60 participants.
A limited number of grants to help with the registration and subsistence
expenses of selected young researchers will be available.

Applications, including a brief C.V. and recent publications, should be
sent before March 1st, 1995 to:

Mme Monique Marchand
Institut de Biologie Structurale - Jean-Pierre Ebel
41, Avenue des Martyrs
F-38027 Grenoble Cedex 1
FRANCE

Fax: (33)-76-88-54-94
Email: [email-masked]

Note: As space is limited all applicants will be informed as soon as
      possible after March 1st if a place has been reserved for them.

================================================================================
*                               APPLICATION FORM                               *
================================================================================

Surname:

First Name:

Nationality:                             Sex:

Address to which any correspondence should be sent:

Telephone:                                E-mail:

Telefax:                                  Telex:

Research Activity:

Relevant Publications (if any):

Employer:

Present Position:

Do you intend to bring your spouse and/or other persons?

Seminar and/or Poster Sessions:
-------------------------------

If you want to contribute to the Seminar and/or Poster Sessions,
please enclose an abstract and give a title here:

Date:                                      Signature:

  Monique Marchand
  I.B.S.
  41, avenue des Martyrs
  38027 GRENOBLE Cedex 1 
  (France)