Subject: Re: CCL:Chemistry Departmental Home Pages

From: [email-masked] (Steven Bachrach)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 11:11:35 -0600

I agree with Henry Rzepa and Tom Pierce that the UCLA is certainly the "best"
list right now. It is certainly the most comprehensive and up to date.

Like many others I too keep a list of WWW sites that I personally think have
interesting information/resources. My list includes some annotation, unlike
the UCLA list. (FYI the URL is:   

http://hackberry.chem.niu.edu:70/0/cheminf.html

One of my major complaints with most Chemistry WWW sites is that they contain
almost nothing of value - the typical site has a welcome note, a list of facultyperhaps information of the grad program, and then a pointer to other chemistry
WWW sites - sort of forming the infinite loop of self-reference!

Another list of WWW sites is not what we need. What we need is creative people
to develop new internet resources making use of the web.

Also, by the way, I advertised my www site as a central organizing site for
graduate program directories. As one can see in my directory, only NIU (my
university) and Southern Illinois University have taken me up on this offer!

I hope this doesn't start a flame war, but web designers really need to start
to think about what the hell they are trying to provide on the net.

Steve

Steven Bachrach				
Department of Chemistry
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, Il 60115			Phone: (815)753-6863
[email-masked]			Fax:   (815)753-4802