Subject: Chemistry WWW Sites and comprehensive Lists

From: [email-masked] (Steven Bachrach)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 08:26:53 -0600

The discussions of chemistry WWW sites, while perhaps not traditionally
a part of computational chemistry, is in my opinion a legitimate topic
for discussion on this list. This list truly reaches the most computer and 
network savy subsection of the chemistry community. We are the pioneers of
the web for the chemical community, and decisions we make now will likely
set the precedent and the practice for years to come. 

I strongly object to people trying to limit the discussions on this list. 
If you are not interested in a particular subject, as indicated by the subject
line, which Jan demands be present (a GREAT restriction), then just delete
the message unread. Nobody is forcing anyone to read any mail message!
In addition, the area of computational chemistry is amazingly broad, as 
evidenced by the Electronic Computational Chermistry Conference, where papers 
ranged from ab initio, semiempirical, EHT, and DFT calculations, to MD, MC, 
QSAR, drug design, use of computer in chemical education and the use of the
web by chemists!

One solution to a directory of WWW sites is to establish an automated 
(form-based) registration procedure, following the model at the NCSA home site.
If there is interest in establishing this service, perhaps Max Kopelevich, and
Henry Rzepa, and myself and other interested parties can set this up at a
mutually agreed upon site.

Steve

Steven Bachrach				
Department of Chemistry
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, Il 60115			Phone: (815)753-6863
[email-masked]			Fax:   (815)753-4802

---

From: [email-masked] (Dr. Tom Pierce)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 13:15:00 -0500 (EST)

> mutually agreed upon site.

This is a GREAT idea! The problem I have always had in using a web-crawler
or other internet discovery tool is anticipating how people have setup
their WWW pages. If you do a find on "chemistry" you get alot of sites,
but I think you miss even more sites. If there was a site that
a chemistry resource could "register" at, then finding chemistry
related topics would be easier.  

-- 
Sincerely, Thomas Pierce - [email-masked]  -  Computational Chemist
"These opinions are those of the writer and not the Rohm and Haas Company."