Subject: CCL:Chemistry Home Pages

From: "Oscar N. Ventura" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 23:45:50 -0300 (TZ )

Dear Netters,
 It is difficult to resist completely the temptation of adding a grain of
sand to the discussion about WWW home pages.
 Isn't it now with home-pages a bit like with the a-PC-for-every-home idea
of some 10 years ago? Aren't we just building them because it is fun and not
because there is any need for one more of them? Do we really have the need
of having such a chemistry home page at every server? I have chosen to
link to UCLA for chemistry and to maintain my own page of Theoretical 
Chemistry sites (see http://bilbo.edu.uy/others-tchem.html) just because
it may help a bit here down-south to have such a collection and, above all,
because I use to visit these sites for learning and getting useful ideas
for my daily research work or teaching. 
 I am not very pleased by the idea of having an exclusive central database
of chemistry (or, for that matter, theoretical chemistry) pointers. It may
look cool at first sight, but I suspect after a while people will start
again maintaining their own, more reduced, more modest and more useful
special interest lists.
 O.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Oscar N. Ventura                 Tel.     +(5982)941860
MTC-Lab                              Fax      +(5982)941906
Gral.Flores 2124, C. C. 1157         E-mail   [email-masked]
Montevideo, URUGUAY                  MTC-Lab  http://bilbo.edu.uy/MTC-Lab.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------