Subject: WWW Oversight

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Luxon)
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 12:19:02 -0600

I've enjoyed the discussion on Chem WWW lists et al but my $.02 is that
some have missed an essential point. That is that there is a strong
element of personal initiative and free enterprise on setting up WWW
sites and maintaining them and this is good. I did mine when I had about
2 weeks of slack time. I had no idea what I was getting in to but it was
interesting and kind of fun. My associates find that it is a useful place
to launch their internet meanderings - thus it is successful. As a rule
my time is taken up with research/meetings/writing papers & grants/etc
and other forms of making a living so my WWW pages sort of come when I
don't have anything else to do or I just need a break. I suspect many 
others are in the same boat. This explains the lack of graphics in my
WWW server.  My stuff is continually in transition and I hope getting
better (ie more useful to those who use it). The idea that some self
appointed committee is going to referee the quality of my web site is
abhorent. If you don't like a particular site don't visit it anymore.
We don't need anymore control freaks than we already have.

Bruce
*=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*
*  Bruce A. Luxon, Ph.D                                                    *
*  Assistant Professor                                                     U
*  Dept. of Human Biological Chemistry & Genetics                          T
*  University of Texas Medical Branch                                      M
*  Galveston, TX   77555-1157                                              B
*                                                                          *
*  (409)747-6802; Fax (409)747-6850                                        *
*  [email-masked]                             http://www.nmr.utmb.edu/ *
*=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*