Subject: WWW page

From: [email-masked] (Joe Golab)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 09:26:51 -0600

In regards the WWW Chemistry homepage conversations:

A recent Forbes article talks about the "Internet".  One quote is
especially pertinent:

"Some observers point out that humans rarely react to technology the
 way that technologists think they should, and success usually isn't
 realized for a decade or two after a technology is developed."
                                               (Forbes 1/30/95 p.100)

Seen in this light, it looks like WWW still has a long way to go.

For my $0.02, I would like to see a National Lab or one of the
Supercomputer centers pick this up, i.e. "a science WWW" of which chemistry
is one branch.  If it is done in the right way, - eventually - we will all
have something that will be a useful tool in getting research done/ideas
explained/a public memory started.

Or, we could petition NetScape or SpyGlass that this kind of
functionality be implemented in Mosaic.

-- 

:Joe
 [email-masked]
 (708) 961-7878  <SOCON 8 231 7878>

 +----------------------------------------------------------------+
 | In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; |
 | but in practice, there is a great deal of difference.          |
 +----------------------------------------------------------------+