Subject: support the CCL, once again

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 17:50:08 -0500

Dear Netters,

Since I received many questions concerning the contents/form of the letters
for support of the Comp. Chem. List, I need to clarify some things.

1. What it should contain?
   It is up to you...  I believe you may just write why the list is useful,
   and why it should be continued and improved in the future.
   You can address it to me, or to "To whom it may concern", whichever form
   is more convenient to you (but send them to me by regular mail or FAX).

2. Who should send it?
   All of you who think that the list is worth supporting. I mean ALL,
   in whatever country, organization, or position you are. You see...
   It is also a reality check for me... If I do not have a broad support,
   then why bother? If you cannot find time to write the letter, and if
   I get only a handful of them, you exercised your right to vote.
   If for some reason, you need a lengthy process of intraorganizational
   approval for such a letter, just write it as a private person to cut the
   red tape.

3. When to send it?
   As soon as possible. Primo, if you do not write it now, you will not
   write it... Secundo, I need them soon. I assume that mail from overseas
   needs some time to get here, but I can wait weeks, not months.

If some of you missed my original appeal, it can be retrieved by sending
a message:
     select chemistry
      cd ccl-proposal
      ls
      message.txt
      quit
to [email-masked]

Thank you for you attention. As always, I am thankful for suggestions and
comments which you sent me via e-mail. 
I understand that the proposal is getting more and more out of date every
day (it was written a year ago).  I would appreciate your comments on how to
make it better.

Some ideas in the proposal are not really mine, but came from the CCL
subscribers at that time. The progress is so fast that it is difficult
to have a written document current for more than a month. My general
idea (as you guessed right from the proposal) is to accomodate the widest
possible audience of CCL, since diversity of technical means and expectations
is really very wide. But at the same time, I want to provide means for
creating "personal profile" for each subscriber which can be changed as you
wish at any time via some simple interface. But this is obviously quite
a substantial software and managerial project (believe me, I know what is out,
and what is not there yet...).

The summer survey of the list provided me with a lot of insight. Thank you
again for responding. The results of the survey will be made available soon.
I really read all your comments and think about them, even if I cannot answer
right away (or do not answer them at all -- in case when it is just a comment,
not a question). 

Jan
Your coordinator
[email-masked]
--

Dr. Jan K. Labanowski, Senior Research/Supercomputer Scientist/Specialist, etc.
Ohio Supercomputer Center, 1224 Kinnear Rd, Columbus, OH 43212-1163
ph:(614)-292-9279,  FAX:(614)-292-7168,  E-mail: [email-masked]  [email-masked]