Subject: CCL:Nucleic Acid and Protein Sequence Analysis workshop at the PSC

From: Harry Karatassos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 15:28:19 -0500 (EST)

NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS   
                       WORKSHOP FOR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCHERS  
                              Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania  
				June 4-9, 1995

Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) is again offering a five-day workshop on
"Nucleic Acid and Protein Sequence Analysis," June 4-9, 1995.  It is  
funded by a grant from the National Center for Human Genome Research of 
the National Institutes of Health.     
  
The workshop will familiarize biomedical researchers with computational  
methods and provide practice in applying supercomputing resources to
problems of concern in macromolecular sequence analysis.  Emphasis will be
on alignment of and pattern extraction from multiple sequences.   
Participants will gain practical experience on PSC's Cray C-90 and T3D in 
(1) comparing and aligning sequences, (2) identifying informative patterns 
in a set of sequences; and (3) using extracted informative patterns to 
identify related sequences.  Researchers will also learn several approaches 
to database searching and  multiple sequence alignment, how to use profile 
analysis effectively, and how to identify patterns in their sequences.   
Participants are encouraged to bring sequence analysis problems from their 
current research.  Extensive documentation will be given at the outset on 
the PSC computing environment as well as on the specific programs
to be employed in the workshop.  No prior supercomputing experience is 
required.
    
Workshop leaders are Dr. Gary Churchill, Cornell University, Dr. Michael 
Gribskov, San Diego Supercomputing Center, and Dr. Hugh Nicholas, PSC.
  
A limited number of grants to cover travel and hotel accommodations are
available for U.S. academic participants.  ALL PARTICIPANTS ARE REQUIRED 
TO PAY A $135 REGISTRATION FEE, IN ADVANCE, UPON ACCEPTANCE INTO THE WORKSHOP. 
The deadline for submitting applications is April 17, 1995.  Enrollment is
limited to 20 participants.  
   
Additional information about this workshop can be found in             
http://pscinfo.psc.edu/biomed/workshops95.html

				      * * * * *

			  PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER
                     NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS 
                        WORKSHOP FOR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCHERS
                                June 4-9, 1995

		                   APPLICATION

Name:	       ________________________________________________________________

Affiliation:   ________________________________________________________________

Address:       ________________________________________________________________
	       (Business)
	       ________________________________________________________________

	       ________________________________________________________________
	       (Home)
	       ________________________________________________________________

Telephone:  ____________________________         ______________________________
	           (Business)				     (Home)

*Social Security Number:  _______-_____-_______	Citizenship:___________________

Electronic Mail Address:_______________________________________________________

Status: ___Graduate  ___Post-doctoral Fellow  ___Faculty  ___Other (specify)

In order to attend the workshop, will you need funds for travel?___ lodging?___

Please indicate specifically any special housing, transportation or dietary 
arrangements you will need: __________________________________________

How did you learn about this workshop:_________________________________________

REQUIREMENTS:

Applicants must submit a completed application form and a cover letter.  The
letter should describe, in one or two paragraphs, the sequence analysis 
problems encountered in your research, and how participating in the workshop 
will enhance this research.  Please include a brief statement describing your 
level of experience with computers.  Faculty members, staff and post-docs 
should provide a curriculum vita.  Graduate students must have a letter 
of recommendation from a faculty member. If you have requested travel funds, 
please include the cost of roundtrip air fare from your home to Pittsburgh and 
indicate the amount of travel funds you will need. ALL PARTICIPANTS WILL BE 
REQUIRED TO PAY A $135 ADVANCE REGISTRATION FEE UPON ACCEPTANCE INTO THE 
WORKSHOP.

Please return all application materials by APRIL 17, 1995 to:

  Biomedical Workshop Applications Committee
  Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
  4400 Fifth Avenue, Suite 230C
  Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Direct inquiries to: Nancy Blankenstein, [email-masked] or 412/268-4960.

*Disclosure of Social Security Number is voluntary.

PSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age,
creed, national or ethnic origin, or handicap.