Subject: FIRST EUROPEAN WORKSHOP IN DRUG DESIGN - MAY 7-14, CORTONA - ITALY

From: "MAURIZIO BRONZETTI - MDL INFORMATION SYSTEMS - SR.SCIENTIST, NVU -" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 1995 20:14:33 -0800 (PST)

FIRST EUROPEAN WORKSHOP IN DRUG DESIGN
				  May 7-14, 1995
				  Cortona, Italy

The University of Siena is pleased to announce a unique workshop for
researchers at universities and in the pharmaceutical industry, to be held
at the II Palazzone in Cortona, Italy.

Few workshops today step out of the realm of the theory to provide an
opportunity to learn skills and strategies useful in daily research.  The
First European Workshop in Drug Design will allow a small group of
scientists to work closely with 20 leading researchers from the drug
industry in exploring solutions to concrete problems encountered in the
discovery and design process.

The workshop will consist of daily lectures and case study working
sessions.  Participants will be grouped into drug design teams and each
team, led by a director of research, will work through a different drug
design case, assembling techniques from such diverse areas as molecular and
structural biology, spectroscopy, site-based drug design, de novo design,
database mining, 3D QSAR, toxicology, combinatorial chemistry, and
synthetic feasibility.  Case studies will include receptor-based and
ligand-based design.  

Working with PCs and 20 SGI workstations, teams will be able to validate
design strategies and experiment with a wide variety of scientific software
tools from more than six vendors.

Application and Fees

Participation in the First European Workshop in Drug Design is limited to
40 applicants, selected on the basis of individual experience.

To Apply

Please submit your name, address, company affiliation, and primary area of
research, along with a curriculum vitae, by fax to: 
Prof. Maurizio Botta
Fax  +39-577-270629

And by mail, to:	First European Drug Design Workshop
			University of Siena
			Prof. Maurizio Botta
			Dipartimento Farmaco Chimico Tecnologico
			Via Banchi di Sotto, 35-53100 Siena

Fee for participation is $US 2300 and includes all meals, hotel
accommodations for seven nights, and transportation between hotels and
meeting site.  Some financial aid is available for applicants from
non-profit institutions.

Deadline for receiving applications is March 31, 1995.

W O R K S H O P  F A C U L T Y

Dr. David W. Banner
(F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Switzerland)

Dr. Giorgio Bolls
(Pharmacia, Italy)

Prof. Maurizio Botta
(University of Siena, Italy)

Dr. Daniel Chelsky
(Pharmacopeia, USA)

Dr. Gabriele Crunciani
(Univ. of Perugia, Italy)

Prof. Dr. Hans-dieter Hoeltje
(Univ. of Berlin, Germany)

Dr. Tim Hubbard
(Centre for Protein Engineering, UK)

Dr. Konrad Koheler
(IRBM, Italy)

Prof. Dr. Hugo Kubinyi
(BASF, Germany)

Dr. Massimo Mabilia
(Consultant, Italy)

Dr. Eric Martin
(Chiron Corp., USA)

Dr. Siegfried Reich
(Agouron, USA)

Dr. Bernard Roques
(University Descartes, France)

Dr. Dennis Smith
(Pfizer, UK)

Dr. James Snyder
(IRBM, Italy)

Dr. Peter Strop
(Selectide Corp., USA)

Prof. Dr. Tollenaere
(Janssen, Belgium)

Dr. Anna Tramontano
(IRBM, Italy)

Dr. D. Eric Walters
(Finch University of Health 
 Sciences, USA)

Dr. Han van de Waterbeemd
(F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.,
 Switzerland)

Dr. Robert Young
(Merck Frosst, Canada)

Dr. Michael Kahn
(Molecumetics, USA)

MDL Information Systems, Inc., BIOSYM Technologies, Inc., and
SiliconGraphics Computer Systems, are committed to providing forums that
promote the highest level of research in the pharmaceutical industry and
are pleased to join with the University of Siena to sponsor the workshop.