Subject: RE: CCL:Protein Structure Prediction

From: Mrigank <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 95 09:38:06 +0530

==>Recently, I am interested in the theoretical prediction of the secondary 
==>structure, that is, folding, of proteins. It seems to me that there 
==>should exist some tools, which may be either theoretical or empirical, to 
==>predict the folding process of each protein based on its sequence. The 
==>fundamental blocks of this process is believed to be the alapha-helix and 
==>beta-sheet, which are also believed not to be formed arbitrarily. I found 
==>that there seems exist some regularities in the folding of these helixes 
==>and sheets, which govern the shape of the secondary structure of the 
==>protein. These regularities or rules seem not to be well-recogized or 
==>mentioned in references, as of my knowledge whose major is not biology.
==>
==>My questions are, then, is it possible to predict it? if not impossible, 
==>what progress has been made in this topic? Has someone mentioned the 
==>regularities or rules during the folding process for alapha-helix and 
==>beta-sheet as I believed above?
==>

  Well, secondary str. is not folding. It involves higher oreder stucture
  of proteins. Yes, there are many methods, but we are still not sure obout
  what is the information contained within a protein sequence and how to
  expliot it to get the complete picture. There are several methods as far
  as secondary structure is concerned. Best rated are one given by Sander's
  group and SOPM. For higher order strucrure I guess one can only tell
  about the types of metthod being attepted, but sucess is still far of.
  Methods which are very succesful include Simulated Anealing based on
  either MC or MD, Knowledge bases modelling and Genetic Algorithm based
  modelling. 

  Mrigank
----
/Mrigank                             \/ Phone  +91 172 690557               \
\Institute of Microbial Technology   /\ Email:  [email-masked]     /
/Sector 39A,                         \/ FAX: +91 172 690585                 \
\Chandigarh 160 014 India.           /\                                     /
 \//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//  
-- When I feed the poor, they call me saint. When I ask why the poors do
   not have food, they call me communist - Archbishop Camaran

==>Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks for your attention!
==>
==>Shubin

---

From: Mrigank <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 95 09:38:06 +0530

Mrigank
----