Subject: Results of Graduate Programs query

From: "Anthony Lemus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 12:46:24 EST

I am posting the results of my query of PhD programs in 
computational chemistry for all those who requested  this information.
Thanks to all those who replied and sorry for the delay in compiling 
this data:

========================================================
Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida at Gainesville.
The Quantum Theory Project is the home of ZINDO, ACESII, AMPAC,
FLIMMSY, etc. and such luminaries as Michael Zerner, Rod Bartlett,
and Nigel Richards, etc.

Quantum Theory Project,
Williamson Hall,
University of Florida,
Gainesville FL 32611

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a comp. chem. program here at UC Berkeley.
And I believe that Stanford, Cornell, Madison WI,
Caltech, and UCLA  also have good programs.

Clayton Springer
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Consider Rutgers University in New Jersey.  They have several 
professors there working on various aspects of theoretical 
chemistry.  You may also want to look at the University of Georgia.
						Jeff Nauss
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Univ. of Houston has the chemical physics program joint by
physics and engineering departments. The professors in 
computatinal area are: B.M. Pettitt, D.J. Kouri, T.A. Albright, 
etc..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a program at Bryn Mawr College (near Philadelphia in 
Pennsylvania).
Michelle M. Francl
Associate Professor of Chemistry
Bryn Mawr College
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        The ACS sells a CD-ROM called Directory of Graduate Research. 
 This
is a chemical science directory of all colleges and universities 
offering
chemistry curriculums.  I can send you a brochure on it if you like?  
Just
met me know.  
                                                        Nan Butterworth
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I received a forwarded message from Dr. Jim Gano of our department 
that you
were interested in graduate studies in computational chemistry.  Dr. 
Hua Guo
of our department is a nationally recognized computational physical 
chemist.
If you would like information on his research, our graduate program in 
     
chemistry, please send me your address and I will have the 
information mailed
to you.
Jon Kirchhoff
Chairman, Graduate Admissions Committee
The University of Toledo
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I don't know if there is a degree in comp. chem. anywhere, but 
William
Jorgensen at Yale is well known in the field.  In practice, you get your
degree in either Physical chemistry or organic chemistry (or perhaps 
a more
bio related field) depending on your major interests.  This is true with
most people in the field.  (I got my degree from Bill).
      In addition, there is Peter Kollman at USCF pharmacy school, Ken 
Houk
at UCLA, Andy McCammon at UCSD, all having somewhat different 
focuses within
the field of computational chemistry.
      There are quite a few more, but those are most of the big names 
(Martin
Karplus at Harvard) as a starting point.
      Take care,
          Dan
========================================================
Cheers!
-ANT

______________________________________________________________________

Anthony Lemus                       (813) 974-3427
-Systems Analyst
University of South Florida         [email-masked]
College of Medicine
______________________________________________________________________