Subject: J.Mol.Mod.: Finally we made it

From: Journal of Molecular Modeling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 95 10:43:53 MET

***************************************
		*      				      *
		*  The Journal of Molecular Modeling  *
		*      				      *
		***************************************

 Well here we are - the first electronic chemistry journal. What started as 
an  idea at an ACS meeting has developed into an experiment in which we are
very much learning as we go along. The results of this learning process are 
now  available on the server  and we are officially (and only 6 weeks late) 
"up and running".

 I have tried to emphasize from the beginning that the purpose of the Journal 
of Molecular Modeling is not to be an electronic journal, but rather to be a 
good scientific  journal  that happens  to be published electronically. This
should be a motivation to contributors to give their best, taking advantage of
the possibility to publish high quality presentation material.

 The Journal of Molecular Modeling is a non-commercial journal operated by 
the Computer-Chemie-Centrum at the  Institut fuer Organische Chemie  of the
Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet  Erlangen-Nuernberg  in  cooperation  with 
Megalon S.A. and the Springer Verlag (Heidelberg). In the unlikely event that 
we ever make a profit, it will be used to finance research, graduate student 
travel to conferences etc. Nevertheless, we realise that we need professional 
help to  produce a  quality  journal  and are  grateful to Megalon for their 
expertise  in  providing  the  InterNet  access to the Journal itself and to 
Springer, who patiently taught us what a real Journal looks like.

 The goal is to convert the Journal of Molecular Modeling, which has now in the
beginning  a conservative  "book-like" format, into  something  approaching an 
interactive journal in which the reader  will have the possibility  to rotate 
graphics, extract diagrams etc.  The technology for this sort of application 
will be developed over the years and we will try to keep pace with its progress.
However, we  will  do our very best  to incorporate  anything that our authors 
would like to have included, beginning with videos as a logical first step.

Finally, a word of thanke to Henryette Roth, without whom none of this would 
have happened. She has worked above and beyond the call of duty to get us this 
far.

Tim Clark, Erlangen, February 25th 1995

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^   Journal of Molecular Modeling          ^    Tel:  [+49](0)9131 / 85-2948   ^
^   Computer-Chemie-Centrum                ^          [+49](0)9131 / 85-6581   ^
^   Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg        ^                                   ^
^   Naegelsbachstrasse 25                  ^    Fax:  [+49](0)9131 / 85-6565   ^
^   D-91052  Erlangen                      ^                                   ^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^   email:	[email-masked]                                ^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^