Subject: Reasons to ACT NOW supporting the CCL

From: Pisanty Baruch Alejandro-FQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 19:44:19 -0600 (CST)

Dear CCLers,

it is now time to show our colours and support the CCL. Not doing so 
would be, from my point of view, callous, selfish and inconsiderate.

As some of you might remember, I ran a survey of the List last Summer. 
The response to my questions was very good, with over 15% of the people 
writing back detailed and informative replies. The main body of the 
analysis is now in the process of being published and unfortunately 
copyright straitjackets forbid bringing that analyisis to light on the 
List right now.

However, based on the results of the survey, I CAN and MUST tell all of you 
that the List is an unqualified 
success, a vital link to the world for many workers in the field, and a 
tool for research and teaching without par. It is one of the most decent 
and well-behaved lists around, it has one of the best 
information-to-noise ratios, and it is distinguished by the high level of 
discussion available. The variety of work done by the CCLers and its 
level of scientific and technical importance is truly astounding.

With this in mind, let me urge you to make a veritable rally of support 
for the Computational Chemistry List run by Jan Labanowski, in the form 
of an avalanche of support letters sent to him by fax or mail. A virtual 
community is still a community and it has to be able to show that life in 
cyberspace is still the life of human beings which are able to express 
themselves beyond the lowly forms of the flame and reprimand, and to 
recognize and praise its well-doers of which a prime example is Jan.

Yours truly,

Alejandro

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
Dr. Alejandro Pisanty, Secretary of the Advisory Council on Computing, UNAM,
Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico (UNAM)
Ciudad Universitaria
04510 Mexico DF
MEXICO

Tel. (+52-5) 622 4181, 616 1649; Fax 550 0904, 616 2010
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .