Subject: Re: CCL:Problem with SGI 'Explorer' using another X-terminal.

From: [email-masked] (Omer Casher)
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 12:56:15 +0000

>   Hi Netters,
>      I have been asked to find out whether anyone has come up agaigst the
> following problem and solved it. If so how (apart from buying an SGI
>terminal)?
> For example, should an SGI emulator be used and if so where can one get such
> software?
>      An SGI 'Crimson' is available which has the package 'Explorer'. When
> these routines are run from the console, an SGI X-terminal, it works fine.
> However, when other, colour X-terminals, HPs specifically, are used to run
> this program, connected through an ethernet, the window that should contain
> the final display (results) remains blank and the following messages are
> obtained:

[ Explorer error stuff deleted ]

I've only succeeded in doing this between two SGIs. Without getting
technical, if you want to render your model on a non SGI X-terminal it must
have OpenGL (in theory, at least).

>    Other programs run satisfactorily on the Crimson using HP, X-terminals.
>    As SGI only have a representative other here I think it would be useful
> if we could get in contact with SGI, US or Europe.

Check out http://www.nag.co.uk/0/visual/IE/iecbb/Product.html for more help.

BTW, have you considered acquiring an HP port of Explorer?

Hope this is of some use.

Omer