Subject: Re: CCL:Problem with SGI 'Explorer' using another X-terminal.

From: JEREMY WALTON <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Mar 95 20:01:00 WET

>>    Hi Netters,

Hi John,

>> I have been asked to find out whether anyone has come up agaigst the
>> following problem and solved it. If so how (apart from buying an SGI
>> terminal)? For example, should an SGI emulator be used and if so where
>> can one get such software?
>> 
>> An SGI 'Crimson' is available which has the package 'Explorer'. When 
>> these routines are run from the console, an SGI X-terminal, it works
>> fine. However, when other, colour X-terminals, HPs specifically, are
>> used to run this program, connected through an ethernet, the window that
>> should contain the final display (results) remains blank and the
>> following messages are obtained:

(messages deleted)

These are Explorer complaining that the HP terminal doesn't recognise
some colours and actions that it's asking the terminal to perform.  I
think that some of these (e.g. fonts that are uncommon on other X
servers) shave been addressed in later releases of Explorer - can you
say which version you're running?

More specifically, rendering on the HP terminal (i.e. viewing the output
of the Render module) requires that the X server understands the OpenGL 
protocol.  You should contact the supplier of the X terminal to check
this, and ask for it if they don't support it.

I hope this is helpful.  More information on IRIS Explorer (including
details of a comprehensive support service, including upgrade to the new
version of IRIS Explorer for SGI, to be released at the end of this
month) can be obtained from the IRIS Explorer Center.  In the UK, the 
contact details are:

 IRIS Explorer Center                    
 PO Box 50                              
 Oxford OX2 8JU                         
 UK                                     
 Tel:   +44 (0)1865 516377               
 Fax:   +44 (0)1865 516388               
 email: [email-masked]               
        [email-masked]
 WWW:	http://www.nag.co.uk:70/1h/Welcome_IEC

Cheers,

Jeremy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|  Jeremy Walton                                   [email-masked] |
|  The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd, Oxford, UK  [email-masked]       |
|                                                  Tel: +44 1865 511245    |
|                                                  Fax: +44 1865 310139    |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------