Subject: Re: malloc() etc.

From: "Wolf-Dietrich Ihlenfeldt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 09:58:31 +0100

I don't think this product has already been mentioned:

I recommend 'purify' from Pure Soft as the ultimate program
checking tool. It will not only detect all kinds of malloc-related problems
but also overwrites, overruns, uninitialized reads etc. in normal
variables. It is really extremely thorough. For example, problems in
the standard system Motif libraries are detected but suppressed
by default because they are such are piece of crap and
literally contain hundreds of problems.
Purify really does amazing things with limited loss of performance
(factor 3 is typical - so your program can still do real work,
in contrast to competing products from Sun etc). Purify works directly
on the object files and libraries and is therefore compiler-independent.
You don't even need source code, but information will be reduced without.
Unfortunately, purify is available only for a limited number
of systems (Sun, HP ... but I don't think DEC).

I have no connection with Pure Soft, but I am a satisfied customer.

-- 
Dr. Wolf-D. Ihlenfeldt
Computer Chemistry Center, University of Erlangen-Nuernberg
Naegelsbachstrasse 25, D-91052 Erlangen (Germany)
Tel (+49)-(0)9131-85-6579  Fax (+49)-(0)9131-85-6566