Subject: Summary: Important Modelling Books & Journals

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 11:34:16 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

Well here's the summary - sorry it took a bit of time to get together. I was
busy and also decided to wait in case I got more replies.  I have posted to
CCL since the number of "me too" requests far outweighed the number of people
who sent info  and I cannot Email them all separately. If anyone wants to add
to this list, please get in touch with me.

Thanks to all those who helped out and, to those who were interested in
getting the same info, I'm glad I could help out.

********************************************************************

>From Ho Leung Ng <[email-masked]>

     A book I recommend is by Brooks, Karplus, and Pettitt (sp?), entitled
Proteins, in the Advanced Chemical Physics series.

===========================================================================

>From Alan M. Mathiowetz

My favorites are:

Proteins: Structure, Function, and Genetics
Protein Science
Journal of Computer-Aided Molecular Design
Journal of Computational Chemistry.

The top two have lots of articles on protein modeling and analysis.
Journal of Medicinal Chemistry would also be extremely valuable if you
really want to get into drug design, since it occasionally presents
important new computational methods and always presents interesting
experimental data.

==========================================================================

>From Kenny Lipkowitz

I've been editing a book series with Don Boyd on the topic of computational
chemistry. The individual chapters are tutorials/reviews on topics related to
your work.The series is called Reviews in Computational Chemistry, published byVCH Publishers Inc. I shall mail some info to you via snail mail. Vols. 1-5
have been published. Vol. 6 is in press and volume 8 is being prepared.

=============================================================================

>From James Crabbe <skscrabb@sksscsc1>

I can recommend the journal published by Elsevier 'Computers and
Chemistry', which includes many aspects of modelling and its application
to large and small molecules.

The publishing editor is Dr. David Claridge, email [email-masked]

James Crabbe.

Editor-in-chief

==============================================================================

>From Donald Boyd <[email-masked]>

Dr. Yagnik,
Most chemical libraries have the book series "Reviews in Computational
Chemistry."  The editors are K. B. Lipkowitz and D. B. Boyd.  Five volumes havebeen published: I (1990), II (1991), III (1992), IV (1993), and V (1995).
Volumes VI and VII are in press.  The publisher is VCH, New York and Weinheim.

Descriptions of the earlier volumes are in the archives of the OSC CCL.  A
description of Volume VI is below.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Reviews in
Computational
Chemistry

Kenny B. Lipkowitz and Donald B. Boyd
Volume 6 (1995)

Reviews in Computational Chemistry brings together respected experts in the
field of computer-aided molecular research.  This new volume examines quantum
chemistry of solvated molecules, molecular mechanics of inorganics and
organometallics, modeling of polymers, technology of massively parallel
computing, and productivity of modeling software.  A guide to force field
parameters and a new software compendium are added.  Molecular modeling and
computational chemistry are increasingly used in conjunction with organic,
inorganic, medicinal, biological, physical, polymer, and analytical chemistry,
as well as in biotechnology, materials science, and chemical physics.  The bookseries has become a standard reference source.  Unlike most review series,
Reviews in Computational Chemistry considers teaching the methodologies to
newcomers an important part of its mission.  Most chapters have both
introductory and advanced material.  Chapters written as tutorials make the
volumes valuable adjuncts to textbooks in more traditional disciplines.  At thesame time, the advanced material in each volume will be of interest to
practicing computational chemists.

Table of contents-
1.      Continuum Solvation Models: Classical and Quantum Mechanical Implementations
Christopher J. Cramer and Donald G. Truhlar
2.      Molecular Mechanics Force Fields for Modeling Inorganic and Organometallic
Compounds
Clark R. Landis, Daniel M. Root, and Thomas Cleveland
3.      Computational Methods for Modeling Polymers: An Introduction
Vassilios Galiatsatos
4.      High Performance Computing in Computational Chemistry: Methods and Machines
Rick A. Kendall, Robert J. Harrison, Rik J. Littlefield, and Martyn F. Guest
5.      Molecular Modeling Software in Use:  Publication Trends
Donald B. Boyd
Appendix 1:     Published Force Field Parameters
Eiji Osawa and Kenny B. Lipkowitz
Appendix 2:     Compendium of Software for Molecular Modeling
Donald B. Boyd

For ordering information-
ISBN 1-56081-667-8.  437 pp.  (The release date for the new volume is scheduledfor May).  Contact VCH Publishers, 303 NW 12th Ave.,  Deerfield Beach,  FL
33442-1788.  Toll-free tel.:  800-367-8249,  Toll-free fax:  800-367-8247,
Tel.:  305-428-5566,  fax:  305-428-8201.  Editorial inquiries may be directed
to [email-masked]

===========================================================================

>From Yvonne Martin <[email-masked]>

I would suggest a subscription to Reviews in Computational Chemistry, Journal
of Computer Aided Drug Design.

Books: G. A. Jeffrey & W. Saenger "Hydrogen Bonding in Biological Structures"
Springer-Verlag

h. B. Burgi & J. D. Dunitz "Structure Correlation" Vols 1 & 2. VCH.

The books deal with DATA rather than theory.

=========================================================================

Well, that about complete's the info that I got. Once again, thanks to those
who sent the info.

Tosh.

-- 
===============================================================================
 Asutosh T Yagnik,                           Tel: (+44) 1392 263451
 Protein Structure Group,		     Fax: (+44) 1392 263434
 Department of Chemistry,                    Email: [email-masked]
 University of Exeter,                 *  *
 Stocker Road, Exeter. EX4 4QD. UK.      >
                                       \__/      {All opinions are my own!}

 "Nature can provide for the needs of people, but not the greeds" M.K.Gandhi
===============================================================================