Subject: Software for Review

From: "Stephen R. Heller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 16:14:48 -0500 (EST)

27 March, 1995

Subject:  Computer Software for Review

     As the Software Review Editor for the ACS Journal of
Chemical Information and Computer Science (JCICS) I often get
software for review in the journal.   I have 4 new software and
database products. I am looking for people who are willing to
review these software/databases products.  In return for the
review which is published in JCICS you get to keep the software
or database.  The review should be completed in 1-3 months.  The
length of the review is 4-10 double spaced typed pages.  Sample
reviews can be found in most of the recent issues of JCICS.

     Please try to give me some (short) reason to choose you over
another person. DO NOT SAY YOU WILL REVIEW ANYTHING I HAVE
AVAILABLE.  Messages with such replies are trashed!

     I have tried this approach for about the past four years and
it is working reasonably well. (REMINDER: For those who haven't
finished your reviews of software sent months and months ago,
this last sentence does not apply to you!)  As a result, I am
continuing this new method to find reviewers using this e-
mail/user group system.  I reserve the right to abandon this if
it is a problem, or inappropriate.  I will not notify people if I
have found a reviewer.  If you don't hear from me within a few
days I have chosen someone else to review the particular package.

     As I get many, many, (too many) replies to this message,
please do not respond after 29 March 1995 (Wednesday), as I am
sure the software will be gone by then.

     I can be reached on Internet ([email-masked]).

     PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE AN STREET ADDRESS, PHONE, and FAX
NUMBER!!!  (I send the software by Federal Express.)  Without
this information I WILL NOT consider your request.

     Steve Heller

The packages I now have are:

1. NIST Mass Spectrometry database for Windows, Version 1.0.  The
database contains 62,235 high quality mass spectra. The database
comes on a CD-ROM or 28 floppy disks.

2. HSC Chemistry for Windows, Version 2.0 from ARS Software. 
This program allows one to calculate seven different kinds
chemical reactions and chemical equilibria: reaction equations,
heat and materials balance, equilibrium compositions,
electrochemical cell equilibria, formula weights, phase stability
diagrams, and Eh-pH diagrams.

3. Chemkey (IBM), from Heterodata in Atlanta, GA, is a database
of some 40,000 reactions is available IBM PC/Windows. 

4. Chemkey (Mac), from Heterodata in Atlanta, GA, is a database
of some 40,000 reactions is available for the Mac. 

Steve Heller, USDA, ARS, Plant Genome Program
Bldg. 005, Room 337
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Phone: 301-504-6055  FAX:  301-504-6231