Subject: Re: CCL:ACS in Anaheim

From: ch172954 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 23:03:24 +1000 (GMT+1000)

Dear Netters,

	Sometimes ago, I received a message from Dr. Andrew Holder,
	through the net, with the subject of " AM1 vs. PM3 " ( the
	posting was on Tue, 12 Apr 1994 19:33:55 CST ). I would like
	to ask how I can refer to that message in my thesis. Is there
	any scientific way for this sort of references.

	Many thanks,
	Mansoor

---

From: [email-masked] (Rzepa,Henry)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 17:08:37 +0000

>        any scientific way for this sort of references.

An interesting question, not least of which is that most electronic postings
do not have a "page number".  Probably the real issue is whether such
postings will be archived for any stated length of time (5 years, 25 years,
250 years?) such that future readers will be able to access them.

It might be worth asking any electronic forum, be it listserver, usenet news,
conference, journal, etc etc, whether perhaps they should clearly indicate
what the expected electronic residency time for any document they hold
is. When we started using a gopher server for the first time to hold
material supplemental to printed publications, we stated in print that we
would hold the gopher material for at least two years (almost up now as
it happens). It does not appear to be normal practice however to make
such statements.

Dr Henry Rzepa, Department of Chemistry, Imperial College, LONDON SW7 2AY;
[email-masked] via Eudora 2.1.1, Tel  (44) 171 594 5774 or 594 5809.
Fax: (44) 171 594 5804. World-Wide-Web URL:
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa.html