Subject: Re: CCL:How to get FTNCHEK

From: [email-masked] (Hinsen Konrad)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 95 11:23:31 -0400

On Mon, 20 Mar 1995, Hinsen Konrad wrote:

   > Since many people have asked me where ftnchek can be found,
   > I thought it might be helpul to tell everyone:
   > 
   > You can get ftnchek by ftp from netlib.att.com, directory
   > /netlib/fortran, file ftnchek.tar.gz. It comes complete
   > with a manual and test cases. Installation is straightforward
   > and using it is even easier. There is really *no* excuse for
   > not using it.
   > 

   I ftp'd the file but apparently it is a compressed binary file 
   - how can I uncompress it and start to use it?

   The usual uncompress command in a UNIX machine doesn't work.

Since I received several questions of this kind, let's answer
them once and for all:

File with the extension "gz" are packed with GNU-Zip, the
Free Software Foundation's alternative to UNIX compress.
If you have GNU-Zip on your machine, you can unpack zipped
files with the command gunzip.

If you do not have GNU-Zip, I recommend to obtain and install it,
since zipped files are becoming more and more common on
many ftp servers (they tend to be shorter than compressed files).
GNU-Zip is available by ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu, or any of
the many other sites that keep GNU software. Installation is
straightforward and the resulting programs are small.

Finally, don't confuse GNU-Zip with PK-Zip for MS-DOS (which
uses the file extension "zip"). Both use the same compression
algorithm, but there the similarity ends. GNU-Zip was designed
to act like the standard UNIX compress.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: [email-masked]
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. A                | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------