Subject: Log P (o/w) of octanol !

From: [email-masked] (Kamal Azzaoui)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 1995 13:55:59 +0100

Dear netters

We are working in the field of quantitative structure-chromatographic
retention relationships (QSSR) and ,
among various physico-chemical descriptors, we used the calculated Log P
(o/w)( With Ghose and Crippen’s parameters).

One of our products is Octanol.

It is very easy to calculate the Log P of Octanol ( we found 2.54), this
value is a by evidence a descriptor of the structure , but we have a
‘philosophic’ problem:

What is the physical meaning of Log P(o/w) of Octanol?
Subsidiary question: What is the Log P of water?

All suggestions are welcome !! 

thanks

Kamal 
------------------------------------------------------------------
        Kamal AZZAOUI                                    

   LCBA. Université d'Orléans.
     BP 6759.
   45067 Orléans cedex 2
        France
   Tel: 38-41-70-42
   email: [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------