Subject: 1995 Nanotechnology Conference

From: Ralph Merkle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 16:52:32 PDT

CALL FOR PAPERS

Fourth Foresight Conference on Molecular Nanotechnology

SUMMARY: The conference will be held November 9-11, 1995, in Palo Alto. It is a
multidisciplinary meeting on molecular nanotechnology, that is, thorough
three-dimensional structural control of materials and devices at the molecular
level. Attendees will include chemists, materials scientists, physicists,
engineers, and computer scientists interested in learning about the field and
participating in its development. For further information, contact
[email-masked], or see the Web page:

     ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/nano/nano4.html

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Fourth Foresight Conference on Molecular Nanotechnology
November 9-11, 1995
Palo Alto, California

Sponsor:     Foresight Institute
Cosponsors:  Caltech Materials and Process Simulation Center
             USC Molecular Robotics Lab
             Institute for Molecular Manufacturing

This conference is a meeting of scientists and technologists working in fields
leading toward molecular nanotechnology: thorough three-dimensional structural
control of materials and devices at the molecular level. The conference will
cover topics relevant to the pursuit of molecular control, drawing from fields
such as:

     supramolecular chemistry and self assembly
     proximal probes (e.g. STM, AFM)
     biochemistry and protein engineering
     computational chemistry and molecular modeling
     computer science (e.g. computational models, system design issues)
     natural molecular machines (e.g. flagellar motor, ribosome)
     materials science
     mechanical engineering (CAD) and robotics
     many others

Developments in these fields are converging, opening opportunities for fruitful
collaboration in developing new instruments, devices, and capabilities.

Topics and invited speakers include:

Donald Brenner, N. Carolina State Univ.
    Simulated Engineering of Nanostructures
Richard Colton, NRL
    Tip Surface Interactions
Eric Drexler, Institute for Molecular Manufacturing
    Directions in Nanotechnology
William A. Goddard III, Caltech
    Computational Chemistry and Nanotechnology
Tracy Handel, UC Berkeley
    Protein Design
Adm. David Jeremiah, USN (Ret.), Technology Strategies
    and Alliances, (Topic to be announced)
Ralph Merkle, Xerox PARC
    Design Considerations for an Assembler
Charles Musgrave, MIT
    Chemical Synthesis of Nanomachinery
Aristides Requicha, USC
    Molecular Robotics
Richard Smalley, Rice University
    Nanotechnology at Rice
J. Fraser Stoddart, University of Birmingham
    The Art and Science of Self-assembling Molecular Machines

FEYNMAN PRIZE

The 1995 Feynman Prize in Nanotechnology (and accompanying $10,000 award)
will be presented at the meeting to the researcher whose recent work has
most advanced the development of molecular nanotechnology. Nomination
information is available from the Foresight Institute, or see on the Web
ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/nano/feynmanPrize.html

DEMONSTRATIONS

Leading vendors will demonstrate products useful in the pursuit of molecular
control, including molecular modeling software and hardware, and proximal probe
systems (e.g. STM).

CALL FOR PAPERS

Contributions on relevant topics are solicited for presentation in lecture or
poster format. Potential contributors are asked to submit an abstract (200-400
words), including names, addresses, telephone and fax numbers of the author(s),
email address, and an indication of whether oral or poster presentation is
preferred. Papers of both kinds will be reviewed for publication. Authors will
be encouraged to make their papers available electronically, and accepted
preprints will be published on the Web. In choosing papers, priority will
be given to (1) cogent descriptions of the state of the art in techniques
relevant to the construction of complex molecular systems, (2)
well-grounded proposals for multidisciplinary efforts which, if funded and
pursued, could substantially advance the state of the art, and (3) reports
of recent relevant research.

JOURNAL & BOOK PUBLICATION OF PROCEEDINGS

Proceedings of the conference will be refereed and published in a special
issue of the international journal Nanotechnology and later in book form.

     Abstracts due               June 30, 1995
     Notification of acceptance  August 1, 1995
     Manuscripts due             October 15, 1995

Abstracts should be directed to the Foresight Institute, Box 61058, Palo Alto,
CA 94306, USA; fax 415-324-2497; email [email-masked].

SITE AND ACCOMMODATIONS

Conference sessions will be held at the Hyatt Hotel in Palo Alto. Accommodation
arrangements should be made directly with the hotel. Reservations should be
made by October 23; when making reservations, mention that you are attending
the "Foresight Nanotechnology Conference" to obtain the lower conference room
rate. Deposits in the amount of the first night's stay plus tax are required to
guarantee reservations; these are refundable up to 6 PM on the date of arrival.
Room rate: $93, single or double occupancy, plus 10% local tax.

Hyatt Hotel
4219 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306
(415) 493-8000 tel
(415) 858-1151 fax

TRANSPORTATION

The conference site is easily reached from San Francisco International Airport
and San Jose International Airport. Information on ground transportation
services will be mailed to registrants.

REGISTRATION FORM

(please print and mail or fax)

Name:

Title: Dr. Prof. Ms. Mr.

Address:

Tel.:

Fax:

Email:

Position (programmer, professor, director, etc.):

Organizational affiliation (for your badge):

How did you hear about this conference:

The registration fee includes the scientific program, Wednesday evening
reception, Thursday and Friday luncheons, and a copy of the
proceedings journal issue. (Student and one-day rates do not include
proceedings.)  Amounts over $100 are tax-deductible as a charitable
contribution.

postmarked:            by Sept. 1     after Sept. 1
Regular                   $350            $400
Academic, nonprofit,
  governmental            $275            $325
Student                   $100            $125
One day (specify day)     $135            $160

Amount enclosed: $

Payment may be made by VISA, MasterCard, check, or international money
order valid in the U.S. Make checks payable to "Foresight Conferences";
checks and bank drafts must be in U.S. dollars drawn on a U.S. bank.
Refunds of registration fees can only be made on receipt of a written
request which must be postmarked no later than September 15, and are
subject to a $50 administrative fee. Credit card registrations may be
faxed.

Card #:

Exp. date:

Signature (required for credit card registrations):

Mail or fax registration to:

Foresight Institute
Box 61058, Palo Alto CA 94306 USA
Tel. 415-324-2490       Fax 415-324-2497
Internet: [email-masked]