Subject: Sftware for Review

From: "Stephen R. Heller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 14:58:21 -0400 (EDT)

11 April, 1995

Subject:  Computer Software for Review

     As the Software Review Editor for the ACS Journal of
Chemical Information and Computer Science (JCICS) I often get
software for review in the journal.   I have 4 new software
products. All four run under Windows!! I am looking for people
who are willing to review these software/databases products.  In
return for the review which is published in JCICS you get to keep
the software or database.  The review should be completed in 1-3
months.  The length of the review is 4-10 double spaced typed
pages.  Sample reviews can be found in most of the recent issues
of JCICS.

     Please try to give me some (short) reason to choose you over
another person. DO NOT SAY YOU WILL REVIEW ANYTHING I HAVE
AVAILABLE.  Messages with such replies are trashed!

     I have tried this approach for about the past four years and
it is working reasonably well. (REMINDER: For those who haven't
finished your reviews of software sent months and months ago,
this last sentence does not apply to you!)  As a result, I am
continuing this new method to find reviewers using this e-
mail/user group system.  I reserve the right to abandon this if
it is a problem, or inappropriate.  I will not notify people if I
have found a reviewer.  If you don't hear from me within a few
days I have chosen someone else to review the particular package.

     As I get many, many, (too many) replies to this message,
please do not respond after 13 April 1995 (Thursday), as I am
sure the software will be gone by then.

     I can be reached on Internet ([email-masked]).

     PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE AN STREET ADDRESS, PHONE, and FAX
NUMBER!!!  (I send the software by Federal Express.)  Without
this information I WILL NOT consider your request.

     Steve Heller

The packages I now have are:

1. ChemWindow, Version 3.1 from SoftShell.  This is a structure
drawing program which runs under Windows.

2. Lab Glassware collection, Version 1.0 from SoftShell.  This
requires ChemWindow 3.1 or later.

3. SciLogP from SciVision.  One needs either HyperChem 3.0 or 4.0
and Excel 4.0 or 5.0 to run this program. The program calculates
logP values.  The reviewer will have to contact SciVision to get
the unlocking code for the program.

4. SCAN from Minitab Statistical Software.  This is a Windows
based program for chemometric analysis.  This is a data analysis
program, with three main features: preprocessing, data
exploration, and modeling.

Steve Heller, USDA, ARS, Plant Genome Program
Bldg. 005, Room 337
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Phone: 301-504-6055  FAX:  301-504-6231