Subject: CCL:Sequence Analysis Workshop

From: "Alexander J. Ropelewski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 15:13:34 -0400 (EDT)

NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS
                       WORKSHOP FOR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCHERS
                              Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
                              June 4-9, 1995

Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center (PSC) is again offering a five-day workshop on
"Nucleic Acid and Protein Sequence Analysis," June 4-9, 1995.  It is
funded by a grant from the National Center for Human Genome Research of
the National Institutes of Health.

The workshop will familiarize biomedical researchers
in applying supercomputing resources to
problems of concern in macromolecular sequence analysis.  Emphasis will be
on alignment of and pattern extraction from multiple sequences.
Participants will gain practical experience on PSC's Cray C-90 and T3D in
(1) comparing and aligning sequences, (2) identifying informative patterns
in a set of sequences; and (3) using extracted informative patterns to
identify related sequences.  Researchers will also learn several approaches
to database searching and  multiple sequence alignment, how to use profile
analysis effectively, and how to identify patterns in their sequences.
Participants are encouraged to bring sequence analysis problems from their
current research.  Extensive documentation will be given at the outset on
the PSC computing environment as well as on the specific programs
to be employed in the workshop.  No prior supercomputing experience is
required.

Workshop leaders are Dr. Gary Churchill, Cornell University, Dr. Michael
Gribskov, San Diego Supercomputing Center, and Dr. Hugh Nicholas, PSC.

A limited number of grants to cover travel and hotel accommodations are
available for U.S. academic participants.  ALL PARTICIPANTS ARE REQUIRED
TO PAY A $135 REGISTRATION FEE, IN ADVANCE, UPON ACCEPTANCE INTO THE WORKSHOP.

DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING APPLICATIONS IS FRIDAY, APRIL 21, 1995.
Enrollment is lmited to 20 participants.

Additional information about this workshop can be found in
http://pscinfo.psc.edu/biomed/workshops95.html

                                      * * * * *

                     PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER
                     NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS
                     WORKSHOP FOR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCHERS
                               June 4-9, 1995

                               APPLICATION

Name:          ________________________________________________________________

Affiliation:   ________________________________________________________________

Address:       ________________________________________________________________
               (Business)
               ________________________________________________________________

               ________________________________________________________________
               (Home)
               ________________________________________________________________

Telephone:  ____________________________         ______________________________
                   (Business)                                (Home)

*Social Security Number:  _______-_____-_______ Citizenship:___________________

Electronic Mail Address:_______________________________________________________

Status: ___Graduate  ___Post-doctoral Fellow  ___Faculty  ___Other (specify)

In order to attend the workshop, will you need funds for travel?___ lodging?___

Please indicate specifically any special housing, transportation or dietary
arrangements you will need: __________________________________________

How did you learn about this workshop:_________________________________________

REQUIREMENTS:

Applicants must submit a completed application form and a cover letter.  The
letter should describe, in one or two paragraphs, the sequence analysis
problems encountered in your research, and how participating in the workshop
will enhance this research.  Please include a brief statement describing your
level of experience with computers.  Faculty members, staff and post-docs
should provide a curriculum vita.  Graduate students must have a letter
of recommendation from a faculty member. If you have requested travel funds,
please include the cost of roundtrip air fare from your home to Pittsburgh and
indicate the amount of travel funds you will need. ALL PARTICIPANTS WILL BE
REQUIRED TO PAY A $135 ADVANCE REGISTRATION FEE UPON ACCEPTANCE INTO THE
WORKSHOP.

Please return all application materials by APRIL 21, 1995 to:

          Biomedical Workshop Applications Committee
          Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
          4400 Fifth Avenue, Suite 230C
          Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Direct inquiries to: Nancy Blankenstein, [email-masked] or 412/268-4960.

*Disclosure of Social Security Number is voluntary.

PSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age,
creed, national or ethnic origin, or handicap.