Subject: Transfering files between IBM and SGI

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey L. Nauss)
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 10:35:36 -0400

Please forgive the more computer-type as opposed to a more
chemistry-related question.  But I am desperate.

I am trying to transfer files between an IBM R/S 6000 and an SGI 4D/35
using a 150 MB tape.  I will eventually want to transfer data back and
forth between the two machines on a regular basis.  The IBM
workstation is not on a network (and never will be) for some practical
reasons I won't go into.  The IBM is running AIX 3.2.5 and has an
external IBM-brand 1/4 inch 150 MB tape drive.  Blocksize has been set
to variable length.  The SGI is running IRIX 4.0.5 and has an SGI
internal 150 MB drive.
 
I have tried using tar and cpio with no success.  Checksum and other
errors consistantly appear.  But I may not have set some variable
correctly.  Today, I will experimenting with dd but have little
experience with the command.

If anyone knows how to use a tape between IBM and SGI platforms, I
would be very appreciative for any help you can provide.

						Jeff Nauss

****************************************************************************
*  UU    UU             Jeffrey L. Nauss, PhD                              *
*  UU    UU             Director, Molecular Modeling Services              *
*  UU    UU             Department of Chemistry                            *
*  UU    UU CCCCCCC     University of Cincinnati                           *
*   UU  UU CCCCCCCC     Cincinnati, OH 45221-0172                          *
*    UUUU CC                                                               *
*         CC            Telephone: 513-556-0148    Fax: 513-556-9239       *
*         CC                                                               *
*          CCCCCCCC     e-mail: [email-masked]                    *
*           CCCCCCC     http://www.che.uc.edu/~nauss                       *
****************************************************************************

---

From: Mr Martin J Hargreaves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 17:49:53 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 12 May 1995, Jeffrey L. Nauss wrote:

> forth between the two machines on a regular basis.  

> correctly.  

> would be very appreciative for any help you can provide.

	I think the SGI has a reverse byte order on tapes... try:

$ dd -if /dev/tape_device conv=swab | tar xvf -

	This is pretty much what I had to do when exchanges QIC-150 tapes 
between IRIX 4.0.5 and an SVR4.2 system. This is for reading from the 
tape, you'd need to change the order of the commands to write a "normal" 
tape from IRIX.

	Hope this helps,

		Regards,

			Martin.

----------------------------------------------------------------
| Martin Hargreaves, 		            [email-masked]|
| Undergraduate Computational Chemist    		       |
| WWW Server Admin                 http://www.chem.surrey.ac.uk|
----------------------------------------------------------------