Subject: Are methods based on DFT ab initio?

From: "gregor t. overney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 14:00:50 -0600 (MDT)

Are methods based on density functional theory (DFT) ab initio?
---------------------------------------------------------------

   Recently, I had a conversation about theories based on DFT with some of 
my colleagues. Some support Dr. Jerzy Cioslowski's idea to put those 
methods into the same category as semiempirical methods and some, including 
myself, do not.

   I would like to ask quantum chemists to answer the above question. Are 
methods based on density functional theory (DFT) of an ab initio nature? 
If yes, why? And if not, why not?

Thanks for your comments.

Gregor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gregor T. Overney, Ph.D.                           Department of Chemistry
Senior Research Associate                     The University of New Mexico
                                                Albuquerque, NM 87131-1096

Voice: (505) 277-1665                                  FAX: (505) 277-2609
                               WWW:  http://enke.unm.edu/gregor/gregor.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------