Subject: Re: Molecular Graphics and Animation Workshop - Please Post

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 11:36:46 -0400

MOLECULAR GRAPHICS AND ANIMATION WORKSHOP

The Cornell Theory Center will hold a workshop June 29-July 1, 1995,
focusing on the use of computer graphics in molecular and biological
sciences. The workshop will cover the principles of molecular graphics
using the IBM Visualization Data Explorer (DX) software in combination with
a publicly available chemistry module suite (CM) that was written at CTC.
In cooperation with the Division of Biological Sciences, participants will
have access to a state-of-the-art interactive graphics workstation
facility, complete with stereo-viewing equipment and hardware rendering.

Although some previous UNIX and DX experience is	desirable, the workshop
will include an introduction to both.  Participants are encouraged to bring
their own data sets. Consulting staff will be available to assist
researchers in their visualization projects.  The first morning of the
workshop will be held on the seventh floor (rm 708) of the Engineering and
Theory Center Building on Hoy Road on the Cornell University campus in
Ithaca, New York. The reception desk can be reached at (607) 254-8686 from
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The remainder of the workshop will be held at
Stimson Hall in the Laboratory of Computer Graphics (rm G04) and in the
 CTC Visualization facility (rm 653). Saturday morning will be open lab
time for final video productions and virtual reality experiments.

COVERED IN THE WORKSHOP:
-theory and use of the basic molecular graphics constructs (CPK, stick
models, ribbon representations, and molecular surfaces)

-visualization of electrostatic fields, quantum mechanics, and dynamics

-three-dimensional reconstructions from microscopy

-advanced rendering (volumetric rendering, constructive solid geometry, and
texture maps)

-animation techniques using DX

-virtual reality using the DX-to-CAVE module

So that each participant will have access to a workstation, class size
will be limited to ten. Short lectures and video  presentations will be
interspersed with generous periods of lab time. Participants will be
provided with examples from a wide variety of research projects, which they
can copy and modify to fit their own research problems. Also available will
be CTC computing and data facilities, including a high-quality color
printer and a growing virtual reality environment.

HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS:
Attendees are responsible for their own hotel reservations and meals. Paid
parking is available on campus, but walking or public transportation are
recommended.

-Best Western University Inn (<1 mile)
East Hill Plaza
Ithaca
607/272-6100
FAX: 607/272-1518

-Collegetown Motor Lodge (walking distance)
312 College Avenue
Ithaca
607/273-3542
800/745-3542

-Sheraton Inn (<3miles)
One Sheraton Drive
Ithaca
607/257-2000
FAX: 607/257-3998

-Statler Hotel (1 block from Theory Center)
Cornell University campus
607/257-2500
FAX: 607/257-6432

TO APPLY:
Due to restricted space, registration for this workshop is limited. The
completed application form, along with payment, must be received by Friday,
June 9, 1995. Applications will be accepted after this date only if
openings still remain. The workshop fee includes all workshop materials.
Local researchers may charge the registration fee to the appropriate
Cornell University account number. Applications that do not include payment
cannot be accepted. Payment checks will be returned promptly to applicants
not accepted due to over-enrollment.  Notification will be mailed on June
12, 1995.

PAYMENT SCALE, PAYABLE TO CORNELL UNIVERSITY:
Academic participants: $70
Corporate Research Institute members: $250
Other corporate participants: $350

------------REGISTRATION FORM------------------

This registration form and payment must be received by June 9, 1995.

SEND TO:
Jeanne Butler
Cornell Theory Center
427 Engineering and Theory Center Building
Ithaca, NY 14853-3801 (607) 254-8813
[email-masked]

REGISTRATION FORM

Name__

Institution__

Address__

City, State, Zip__

Telephone__

Fax__

Preferred electronic mail address__

Do you have a current CTC account: __no __yes;  my userid is__

Do you have a pending allocation request: __no __yes

Social Security #:____-_____-_____ to set up new supercomputer accounts.
(Submission of social security numbers is voluntary and will not affect
eligibility for access to CTC facilities. However, SSNs are an integral
part of the National Science Foundation's information system and assist in
managing the Supercomputer Centers program. SSN solicited under NSF Act of
1950, as amended.)

Special needs (e.g., mobility impaired)__

Account number to charge (Cornell applicants only)__

Academic discipline (e.g., biological sciences, geosciences, chemical eng.)__

Status (check all that apply)

Academic
__Undergraduate
__Graduate
__Postdoctoral
__Faculty
__Smart Node Consultant/Advisor
__Other:

Corporate/Commercial
__Research
__Other:

ETHNIC ORIGIN (OPTIONAL)
__African American
__Caucasian
__Asian American
__Hispanic American
__Native American
__Alaskan Native
__Other:

If possible, please list the various types and formats of data you are
likely to bring to the workshop (optional). This will help ensure that we
can read your data into the graphics programs. (e.g., molecular structures
in Brookhaven Protein Databank format, or electron densities from Gaussian,
or confocal microscope images from our own lab [can send sample] ). ___

If nonstandard format, please contact [email-masked].

*All trade names referred to are trademarks or registered trademarks of
their respective companies.

----------- End Forwarded Message -----------