Subject: Three Dimensions in Drug Design

From: Hanneke Jansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 17:02:23 +0100 (CET)

THREE DIMENSIONS IN DRUG DESIGN
a minisymposium

University Centre for Pharmacy, Groningen, the Netherlands
June 2nd, 1995

	As soon as people realized that in order for a drug to elicit a 
response this compound has to complement the structure of a 
macromolecular target, attempts have been made to visualize this 
interaction. Nowadays we are well aware of the fact that the 
complementarity has to include all three dimensions in space. Synthetic 
and computational chemistry have evolved to a level at which the third 
dimension can be handled well. Overviews of the capabilities of the 
techniques involved, examples of their application and aspects of new 
methodology will be presented in the symposium "Three Dimensions in 
Drug Design" by the speakers listed below.

Prof. Dr. U. Hacksell: Synthetic Aspects of Medicinal Chemistry
Dr. J.T.F. Keurentjes: Membrane Technology for the Separation of 
Racemic Mixtures.
Prof. Dr. J.P. Tollenaere: The Role of Computational Chemistry in 
Pharmaceutical Research

Coffee-break

Dr. J.P. Snyder: Taxol: A Complicated Molecule Made Simple
Prof. Dr. H.C.J. Ottenheijm: Chirality: Food for Medicinal Chemists

	The last item on the program will present thoughts about various 
aspects of the third dimension and about the question which additional 
dimensions have to be added to really understand the drug-target 
interaction and its effect. All participants are invited to join the discussion 

following a short introduction. The time-frame of the program will probably 
not allow us to conclude this exchange of ideas, but a reception is planned 
after the closing of the symposium during which this discussion can be 
continued.

The symposium will take place at the University of Groningen (the 
Netherlands), location Antonius Deusinglaan 1, ground floor, room BG04. 
The registration desk will be opened, and coffee and sandwiches will be 
available, from 13:30 h. onwards. The symposium will be opened at 14:00 
h. and after the closing at 17:00 h. a reception will be offered to all 
participants. The official language of the symposium will be English. Before 
June 2nd, the symposium secretariat can be reached at Antonius 
Deusinglaan 2, 9713 AW  Groningen, the Netherlands, phone: +31-50-
633296, fax: +31-50-636908, e-mail: [email-masked]; during symposium 
hours the phone-number is +31-50-638000.

Registration for the symposium is free of charge and can be effected by 
sending your name, address and affiliation to the symposium secretariat at 
the above mentioned address.

This symposium has been sponsored by Astra Pharmaceutica B.V., Glaxo 
B.V., the Groningen Centre for Drug Research, the Groningen Utrecht 
Institute for Drug Exploration, the Janssen Research Foundation, Nefarma, 
N.V. Organon, Solvay Duphar B.V. and Unilever.

Organizing committee: Hanneke Jansen, Cor Grol, Willem Jan Drijfhout, 
Janita Zwinderman
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

J.M. Jansen                             e-mail: [email-masked]
Univ. Centre for Pharmacy               tel: +31-50633305
Dept. Medicinal Chemistry               fax: +31-50636908
A. Deusinglaan 2
NL-9713 AW Groningen
the Netherlands

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++