Subject: Summary:FORTRAN for PC

From: [email-masked] (Antonio Fernandez Ramos)
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 09:48:18 +0200

Hello,
	You might look into f2c if you have a C compiler.  There is a DOS
versin of f2c available.  With this you can convert your code to C and
compile with any resonably priced compiler (boralnd, microsoft, etc..). 
As a messy alternative GNU has a "fortran compiler" available.  But it is
still relatively new so I'm not sure how well it works.  Note that what it
really does is call f2c with scripts and then uses gcc to compile.  Again
this is a very messy solution!  An alternative that is not free but
inexpensive, microsoft offers their 16 bit compiler for acedamic's for
about $99, or so it was priced in our bookstore.  
	I have been looking for a free fortan comiler for some time with
no luck.  I concidered the f2c and GNU alternatives but both seemed
relatively painful.  I expect that for the dollars -vs- time/head-ache
ratio you'd be better off just buying Microsofts f77.  That was the route
I finally took.
Good luck with your search.  IF you do happen to run across a free f77,
please forward the info to me!  I would be most interested to see what is
available.
Regards,
Chuck

Charles Letner
Wright State University
Department of Biochemistry
Dayton, OH 45435
e-mail: [email-masked]

Date: Fri, 5 May 95 08:36:08 -0400
From: [email-masked] (Hinsen Konrad)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: CCL:Free Fortran77??
Status: RO

	   Is available a free Fortran77 or 90 for MS-DOS?

No. GNU-Fortran is still in beta testing and I doubt that there
is already an MS-DOS port. However, there is a DOS version of
f2c, AT&T's free Fortran-to-C compiler. Together with a DOS port
of GNU C it makes a usable Fortran compiler. I have used the
same combination on an Atari TT for a year without problems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: [email-masked]
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. A                | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------