Subject: Visualiser for BNL-PDB .ent files?

From: "Hr Dr. S. Shapiro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 16:58:31 +0100 (MET)

Dear Colleagues;

     Does anyone know of a "visualiser" that will allow me to view the 3-D
structure of a protein which I recently downloaded as a .ent file from the
Protein Data Bank of the Brookhaven National Laboratory, or of a converter
to transform this ASCII file into a .mol, .pdb, or other file that can be
read using HyperChem for Windows?  If so, kindly send details.

     Thanks to all responders in advance.

Regards,

(Dr.) S. Shapiro
Inst. f. orale Mikrobiol. u. allg. Immunol.
Zent. f. Zahn-, Mund- u. Kieferheilkd. der Univ. ZH
Plattenstr. 11
Postfach
CH-8028 Zuerich 7
Switzerland

Internet: [email-masked]

P.-S.: Whilst I've got your attention, does anyone know of an FTP site from
       which the latest version of ISIS/Draw for Windows (_gratis_ for aca-
       demic users) can be downloaded?  I don't have access to the WWW.

---

From: [email-masked] (Joel Polowin)
Date: Tue, 23 May 95 12:44:44 -0400

> Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 16:58:31 +0100 (MET)
> From: "Hr Dr. S. Shapiro" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: CCL:Visualiser for BNL-PDB .ent files?
> 

HyperChem will read Protein Data Bank files directly, whether the file
type is ".ent" or ".pbd" or anything else.  (The official standard file
type for a PDB file is ".ent".)  You just have to specify that the PDB
file filter should be used when reading the file.

Depending on whether or not the file conforms to the normal specifications,
one might need to use a script command such as "non-standard-pdb-names yes"
to allow HyperChem to read the file correctly.  This applies particularly
to files with atom-name fields that are left-justified instead of right-
justified.

Regards,
Joel

------------
Joel Polowin, Ph.D.   Manager, Scientific Support
Email to: [email-masked] 

Hypercube Inc, 419 Phillip St, Waterloo, Ont, Canada N2L 3X2 (519)725-4040
Info requests to: [email-masked]    Support questions to: [email-masked]
Email group: Send "subscribe hyperchem" to [email-masked]
WWW: http://www.hyper.com/