Subject: awards announcement

From: [email-masked] (George C. Schatz)
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 09:48:00 -0500

To: Computational Chemistry Community 
From: George C. Schatz
      Chair, Theoretical Chemistry Subdivision
      Physical Division, American Chemical Society
Date: May 25, 1995

    Below are the announcements for two Awards in Computational
Chemistry that are open to current graduate students.  These
awards are administered by the Theoretical Chemistry Subdivision
of the Physical Division of the ACS.  They
replace the Cray Award that has been given by the Subdivision for
the past several years.  We are grateful to DEC, IBM, the
Pittsburgh Supercomputer Center, and the Cornell Supercomputer
Center for their support of these awards.
 
     The competition is open to any graduate student (regardless of
citizenship) who is an ACS member (or whose advisor is an ACS
member).  These awards are designed to encourage graduate work in
computational chemistry, to recognize research accomplishments, and
to stimulate interest in the Subdivision of Theoretical Chemistry
and the Physical Division of the ACS.  Applicants can apply for one
or both of the awards.  A single Awards Committee will consider all
the applicants.  Note that the deadline for applications is July 1,
and the awards applications should be sent to James Skinner at the
University of Wisconsin.  Selection of the award winners will take
place at the ACS meeting this August in Chicago.

     I encourage graduate students in any area of computational
chemistry to apply.  If you have any questions, contact me
at [email-masked] or James Skinner at [email-masked].

Digital Equipment Corporation/Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
    Graduate Student Award in Computational Chemistry

      The ACS division of Physical Chemistry and the Subdivision of
Theoretical Chemistry, seek applicants for the Digital Equipment
Corporation/Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center Graduate Student Award
in Computational Chemistry.  Supported by Digital and the
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center, this award will provide a
one-time cash stipend of $2500 as a supplement to normal financial
aid to a doctoral candidate in the research-dissertation stage in
the 1995-1996 academic year.  The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
(PSC) will provide up to 1000 Alpha CPU-hours on its Alpha Cluster
for the awardee to actually carry out a portion of the awarded
research.  PSC will also provide telephone or e-mail access to a
staff user consultant for help in troubleshooting problems with use
of the Cluster.  A place in PSC's November, 1995 PVM Workshop will
be reserved for the awardee.  Awardee selection will be made on a
competitive basis.

      Applicants should be working on new and innovative
computational chemistry methods or applications in theoretical
chemistry.  In particular, the use of high performance parallel
computing environments such as High Performance Fortran, PVM, or
other parallel software constructs on workstation farms or SMP
multiprocessor systems is required.

      Applicants should prepare a written description of the
computational chemistry research project that requires high
performance computing as can be provided by Alpha systems, with an
explanation of the scientific importance of the project.  Proposals
need to include an estimate of the computing resources required in
Alpha cpu-hours.  Applicants should explain how they plan to use
the grant funds.  Two letters of recommendation, including one from
the student's advisor, along with a vita and transcript are
required.  In addition, a PI (other than the applicant) responsible
for the applicant's use of the Alpha systems resources arranged by
Digital or the PSC, needs to be stipulated.

      Forward applications by July 1, 1995 to Prof. James L.
Skinner, Department of Chemistry, 1101 University Ave., University
of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706.

      The awardee will be chosen and announced at the Fall 1995 ACS
National Meeting.

      Alpha is a registered trademark of Digital Equipment
Corporation.

                      IBM/Cornell Theory Center  
           Graduate Student Award in Computational Chemistry

      The ACS division of Physical Chemistry and the Subdivision of
Theoretical Chemistry seek applicants for the IBM/Cornell Theory
Center Graduate Student Award in Computational Chemistry. 
Supported by IBM and the Cornell Theory  Center, this award will
provide a one-time cash stipend of $2500 as a supplement to normal
financial aid to a doctoral candidate in the research-dissertation
stage in the 1995-1996 academic year.  The Theory Center will
provide up to 1000 service units on its SP2 parallel computer for
the awardee to actually carry out a portion of the awarded
research. The awardee will have access to the consulting services
of the Theory Center normally available to all users.
Awardee selection will be made on a competitive basis. 
Applicants should be working on new and innovative computational
chemistry methods or applications in theoretical chemistry.

      Applicants should prepare a written description of a
computational chemistry research project that requires high
performance computing, with an explanation of the scientific
importance of the project.  Proposals need to include an estimate
of the computing resources required in SP2 cpu-hours.  Applicants
should explain how they plan to use the grant funds.  Two letters
of recommendation, including one from the student's advisor, along
with a vita and transcript, are required.  In addition, a PI (other
than the applicant) responsible for the applicant's use of the
Cornell Center resources must be identified.

      Forward applications by July 1, 1995 to Prof. James L.
Skinner, Department of Chemistry, 1101 University Ave., University
of  Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706.

      The awardee will be chosen and announced at the Fall 1995 ACS
National Meeting.