Subject: G9X compilation on Linux / Solaris

From: "Michael D. Bartberger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 14:20:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all:

Has anyone (perhaps this question should be geared toward the Gaussian 
programmers / development team) had any experience / luck compiling G92 (or 
maybe even G94?) under either Linux or Solaris for x86 / Pentium architecture?  

We own a copy of G92 for Windows but are experiencing some of the 
'features'  ;^)  of the Windows environment (i.e., GPF's, random system 
hangs and the like) which seems to be highly dependent on other software 
installed on the machine (and, curiously, dependent on the input deck 
used.... it is getting highly, highly frustrating.)

I would seriously consider getting Gaussian Unix code and converting one of 
our PCs into a dedicated Unix box (or running it 'on the side' on 
another partition) if it would be more stable.  (At the moment, 
*anything* seems more stable than Windows....)    :-)    I can't convince 
my research advisor, along with the rest of the Phys. Org. Div. to pull 
together and spring for a 'real' unix workstation, so I am sort of bound 
to a PC platform for the time being.   

I would also welcome comments from other G92/Win users as to the 
stability of the program on their machines, or workarounds to the 
symptoms I have described above.

Thanks!

Best regards from miserably humid Florida....  be happy you don't live here,

Michael

________________________________________________________________________________

 Michael D. Bartberger         [email-masked]        TEL: (904) 392-3580
 Department of Chemistry       [email-masked]         FAX: (904) 846-0296
 University of Florida
 Gainesville, FL  32611
 USA
________________________________________________________________________________