Subject: Re: CCL:G9X compilation on Linux / Solaris

From: [email-masked] (Klaus R. Liedl)
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 10:24:18 +0200 (DFT)

>I would seriously consider getting Gaussian Unix code and converting one of 
>our PCs into a dedicated Unix box (or running it 'on the side' on 
>another partition) if it would be more stable.  (At the moment, 
>*anything* seems more stable than Windows....)    :-)    I can't convince 
>my research advisor, along with the rest of the Phys. Org. Div. to pull 
>together and spring for a 'real' unix workstation, so I am sort of bound 
>to a PC platform for the time being.   

Having a Linux Version of Gaussian94 would be in fact highly interesting
not only because of much higher stability, but also for performance 
reasons.

Tests with some of our own Fortran codes show,
that a Pentium at 100MHz gives about the same speed
(using f2c or g77 -the GNU Fortran compiler- under Linux)
as an IBM RS6000/550 ...
(This is also about what you would expect on looking at the
the SpecFP values.)

>I would also welcome comments from other G92/Win users as to the 
>stability of the program on their machines, or workarounds to the 
>symptoms I have described above.

We just observed similar things that you describe.
If you want to make serious use of G92/Win you habe
to install a dedicated G92/Win PC, that is used for
nothing else but G92/Win.

Anyhow the problems with G92 under MS-Windows for sure
not emerge from G92/Win but from MS-Windows itself ...

best wishes

Klaus
-- 
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www-c724.uibk.ac.at/liedl.html