Subject: Reviews in Computational Chemistry

From: Boyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 1995 14:16:19 -0500

CCLers:
Dr. De Proft's question about "Reviews in Computational Chemistry" is
especially timely because Volume 6 just rolled off the presses.  I will try to
answer.  This new volume examines quantum chemistry of solvated molecules,
molecular mechanics of inorganics and organometallics, modeling of polymers,
technology of massively parallel computing, and comparative productivity of
molecular modeling software.  In the summary that follows, I explain the
mission of the series, and I list the table of contents of each volume
published to date.
Don
Donald B. Boyd, Ph.D.
Co-editor, REVIEWS IN COMPUTATIONAL CHEMISTRY
Department of Chemistry
Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis
Indianapolis, Indiana 46202-3274 U.S.A.
Internet [email-masked]
World Wide Web URL http://chem.iupui.edu/

Original posting-
>Dear all,
>On this list,  I frequently encounter references to the series "Reviews in
>Computational Chemistry", edited by Boyd.  Can anyone give me some
>information about this book series.
>Sincerely
>F. De Proft

Summary (this message is 3-typed pages long)-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
REVIEWS IN COMPUTATIONAL CHEMISTRY

Kenny B. Lipkowitz & Donald B. Boyd, Editors

"Reviews in Computational Chemistry" brings together respected experts in the
field of computer-aided molecular research.  The book series has become a
standard reference source.  Unlike most review series, "Reviews in
Computational Chemistry" considers teaching the methodologies to newcomers an
important part of its mission.  Most chapters have both introductory and
advanced material.  Chapters written as tutorials make the volumes valuable
adjuncts to textbooks in more traditional disciplines.  At the same time, the
advanced material in each volume will be of interest to practicing
computational chemists.

Contained in each volume is the popular Compendium of Software for Molecular
Modeling, which has information on hundreds of programs, services, suppliers,
and other helpful information.

Authors of Volume 1 (1990):

David Feller and Ernest R. Davidson,  Basis Sets for Ab Initio Molecular
Orbital 	Calculations and Intermolecular Interactions.
James J. P. Stewart,  Semiempirical Molecular Orbital Methods.
Clifford E. Dykstra, Joseph D. Augspurger, Bernard Kirtman, and David J. Malik,
 	Properties of Molecules by Direct Calculation.
Ernest L. Plummer,  The Application of Quantitative Design Strategies in
Pesticide 	Design.
Peter C. Jurs,  Chemometrics and Multivariate Analysis in Analytical Chemistry.
Yvonne C. Martin, Mark G. Bures, and Peter Willett,  Searching Databases of
Three-	Dimensional Structures.
Paul G. Mezey,  Molecular Surfaces.
Terry P. Lybrand,  Computer Simulation of Biomolecular Systems Using Molecular 
Dynamics and Free Energy Perturbation Methods.
Donald B. Boyd,  Aspects of Molecular Modeling.
Donald B. Boyd,  Successes of Computer-Assisted Molecular Design.
Ernest R. Davidson,  Perspectives on Ab Initio Calculations.

Authors of Volume 2 (1991):

Andrew R. Leach,  A Survey of Methods for Searching the Conformational Space 
of Small and Medium-Sized Molecules.
John M. Troyer and Fred E. Cohen,  Simplified Models for Understanding and 
Predicting Protein Structure.
J. Phillip Bowen and Norman L. Allinger,  Molecular Mechanics: The Art and 
Science of Parameterization.
Uri Dinur and Arnold T. Hagler,  New Approaches to Empirical Force Fields.
Steve Scheiner,  Calculating the Properties of Hydrogen Bonds by Ab Initio 
Methods.
Donald E. Williams,  Net Atomic Charge and Multipole Models for the Ab Initio 
Molecular Electric Potential.
Peter Politzer and Jane S. Murray,  Molecular Electrostatic Potentials and
Chemical 	Reactivity.
Michael C. Zerner,  Semiempirical Molecular Orbital Methods.
Lowell H. Hall and Lemont B. Kier,  The Molecular Connectivity Chi Indexes and 
Kappa Shape Indexes in Structure-Property Modeling.
I. B. Bersuker and A. S. Dimoglo,  The Electron-Topological Approach to the
QSAR 	Problem.
Donald B. Boyd,  The Computational Chemistry Literature.

Authors of Volume 3 (1992):

Tamar Schlick,  Optimization Methods in Computational Chemistry.
Harold A. Scheraga,  Predicting Three-Dimensional Structures of Oligopeptides.
Andrew E. Torda and Wilfred F. van Gunsteren,  Molecular Modeling Using NMR 
Data.
David F. V. Lewis,  Computer-Assisted Methods in the Evaluation of Chemical 
Toxicity.

Authors of Volume 4 (1993):

Jerzy Cioslowski,  Ab Initio Calculations on Large Molecules: Methodology and 
Applications.
Michael L. McKee and Michael Page,  Computing Reaction Pathways on Molecular 
Potential Energy Surfaces.
Robert M. Whitnell and Kent R. Wilson,  Computational Molecular Dynamics of 
Chemical Reactions in Solution.
Roger L. DeKock, Jeffry D. Madura, Frank Rioux, and Joseph Casanova,  
Computational Chemistry in the Undergraduate Curriculum.

Authors of Volume 5 (1994):

John D. Bolcer and Robert B. Hermann,  The Development of Computational 
Chemistry in the United States.
Rodney J. Bartlett and John F. Stanton,  Applications of Post-Hartree-Fock 
Methods: A Tutorial.
Steven M. Bachrach,  Population Analysis and Electron Densities from Quantum 
Mechanics.
Jeffry D. Madura, Malcolm E. Davis, Michael K. Gilson, Rebecca C. Wade, Brock
A. 	Luty, and J. Andrew McCammon,  Biological Applications of Electrostatic 
Calculations and Brownian Dynamics Simulations.
K. V. Damodaran and Kenneth M. Merz Jr.,  Computer Simulation of Lipid Systems.
Jeffrey M. Blaney and J. Scott Dixon,  Distance Geometry in Molecular Modeling.
Lisa M. Balbes, S. Wayne Mascarella, and Donald B. Boyd,  A Perspective of
Modern 	Methods in Computer-Aided Drug Design.

Authors of Volume 6 (1995):

Christopher J. Cramer and Donald G. Truhlar,  Continuum Solvation Models: 
Classical and Quantum Mechanical Implementations.
Clark R. Landis, Daniel M. Root, and Thomas Cleveland,  Molecular Mechanics 
Force Fields for Modeling Inorganic and Organometallic Compounds.
Vassilios Galiatsatos,  Computational Methods for Modeling Polymers: An 
Introduction.
Rick A. Kendall, Robert J. Harrison, Rik J. Littlefield, and Martyn F. Guest, 
High 	Performance Computing in Computational Chemistry: Methods and 	Machines.
Donald B. Boyd,  Molecular Modeling Software in Use:  Publication Trends.
Eiji Osawa and Kenny B. Lipkowitz,  Appendix 1:  Published Force Field
Parameters.
Donald B. Boyd,  Appendix 2:  Compendium of Software for Molecular Modeling.

Ordering information-
Single copies may be purchased, of course.  In addition, individuals and
libraries can save money by placing a standing order for the whole series.  The
prices below are for single copy/standing order.  Volumes 7, 8, 9, and 10 are
in the works, each offering new and unique chapters.

"Reviews In Computational Chemistry", K. B. Lipkowitz and D. B. Boyd, Editors
Volume 1 (xix + 419 pp)  ISBN 0-89573-754-X,  $115/$95
Volume 2 (xvi + 527 pp)  ISBN 1-56081-515-9,  $125/$100
Volume 3 (xvi + 271 pp)  ISBN 1-56081-619-8,  $75/$60
Volume 4 (xix + 280 pp)  ISBN 1-56081-620-1,  $79/$65
Volume 5 (xxi + 458 pp)  ISBN 1-56081-658-9,  $110/$90
Volume 6 (xvii + 480 pp) ISBN 1-56081-667-8,  $110/$90

U.S.A. source-
VCH Publishers, 303 Northwest 12th Avenue, Deerfield Beach, FL 33442-1788.
Toll-free tel. (within US & Canada):  800-367-8249
Toll-free fax (within US & Canada):  800-367-8247
Tel.:  305-428-5566,  fax:  305-428-8201.
Europe source-
VCH Verlagsgesellschaft mbH, P.O. Box 10-11-61, 69451 Weinheim, Germany.
Tel.:  49-6201-6060,  fax:  49-6201-606328.

From reviews of the series-
     "The book transfers a working knowledge of existing computational methods
and programs to an interested reader and potential user."  (Structural
Chemistry).
     "It can be recommended for everyone who wants to learn about the present
state of development in computational chemistry."  Angewandte Chemie
International Edition in English). 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=