Subject: Alternative to the Communications Decency Act of 1995

From: [email-masked] (Pieter Stouten)
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 1995 10:31:56 -0500

>**Decency's in the Eye of the Beholder** -- An alternative to the
>  Communications Decency Act of 1995 (see TidBITS-263_) has been
>  proposed by Senator Patrick Leahy. The Leahy bill, S.714 (called
>  the "Child Protection, User Empowerment, and Free Expression in
>  Interactive Media Study" bill) proposes a five month study of
>  current law and technological capabilities surrounding access to
>  controversial content via electronic media. At this time, this
>  bill presents the only alternative to the Exon/Gorton
>  Communications Decency Act, which is likely to pass without a
>  strong show of support for Leahy's alternative. More information
>  and, yes, an online petition can be found at the following URLs.
>  It's worth noting that the original petition against the
>  Communications Decency Act gathered more than 108,000 signatures.
>  [GD]
>
>http://www.eff.org/pub/Alerts/s314_hr1004_s652.alert
>http://www.cdt.org/cda.html
>http://www.cdt.org/petition.html

The above is an excerpt from TidBITS (a newsletter for Mac users, published
by Adam C. Engst <[email-masked]>) #279/29-May-95.