Subject: B-N chemistry

From: "Tapas Kar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 95 15:19:54 CST

Dear Netters:
We are in the beginning stages of a project concerning the replacement of C-C
units in organic compounds with B-N units and predicting differences between
these compounds using ab initio calculations.  One part of this research will
be examining these replacements in fused ring systems--replacing C-C units in
such molecules as naphthalene with 1, 2, 3 etc. B-C units.  We were wondering
if anyone could suggest any sources where these fused ring compounds were
previously studied either theoretically or experimentally.  We have had trouble
finding sources for the geometries, syntheses, and electron structures for
these compounds--we don't even know names for them!  Some of the structures
are:
       H   H               H
       B   B               B
      / \ / \             / \
    HN   N   NH         HN   N--BH
     | O | O |           |   |  ||
    HB   B   BH         HB   B--NH
      \ / \ /             \ /
       N   N               N
       H   H               H
and other similar compounds of two 6 member and a 6 and 4 member fused ring
systems (with C-C units replacing successive B-N units).  Any suggestions for
souces concerning these compounds woudl be very appreciated.  Also, any
information like the names for this series of compounds would be very helpful.
Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,
Tapas Kar