Subject: Re: CCL:Seeking chemical lit on Web

From: [email-masked] (Rzepa, Henry)
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 1995 12:11:35 +0000

>Folks,
>
>        Has anybody found a chemical literature search engine on the Web (or
>the Net)?  Something that can search by author/subject/citation, etc?  Or is
>this still the domain of Departmental Libraries...?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Joe

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you seeking an alternative
to Chemical Abstracts or ISI? Are you expecting the service to
cost or to be free?

There are two global keyword searchers, namely Lycos and Infoseek,
although they do not structure by author etc, since the header
specifications in HTML do not carry such fields. I guess
only so called Z39.50 specifications have such these fields, and I
am not sure if any Z39.50 implementations for specifically
chemical literature exist.

Anyway, do CAS and ISI not offer what you want?

Dr Henry Rzepa, Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, London, SW7 2AY.
Tel:  +44 171 594 5774. Fax: +44 171 594 5804. E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa.html             Sent using Eudora 2.1.2

---

From: Mr Martin J Hargreaves <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 1995 13:10:12 +0100 (BST)

> >this still the domain of Departmental Libraries...?

	I have a pointer to some bibliographic databases at 
http://www.chem.surrey.ac.uk/~ch11mh/databases.html

This includes Medline, LITDB (in Japan) and a link to a gopher in Russia 
which has been down for a while but had chemical abstracts and patents 
>from 1981 to 1991. It worked earlier in the year and was extremely useful
for my final year project. It was however very slow.

	Good Luck,

		Regards,
			Martin.

----------------------------------------------------------------
| Martin Hargreaves, 		            [email-masked]|
| Undergraduate Computational Chemist                          |
| WWW Server Admin       http://www.chem.surrey.ac.uk/~ch11mh/ |
----------------------------------------------------------------