Subject: school on medicinal chemistry

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 1995 12:15:03 +0100 (MET)

There are a few places left in the IVth School on Medicinal Chemistry (see 
below for full information). The school is primarily meant for research 
chemists in pharmaceutical industry wishing to update their knowledge in 
pharmacology, toxicology and new trends in drug design. If you are
interested, please send a fax to 

Mrs. F.J. Velthorst
LACDR
PO Box 9502
2300RA Leiden
The Netherlands
fax 31-71-274277

to register or for further information

                 24-27 October 1995, Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands               
                         IVth LACDR SCHOOL ON MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY            

COURSE OUTLINE

The development of new drugs has become largely dependent on a deeper 
understanding of human (patho)physiology. Nowadays, pharmacology and 
toxicology, both in vitro and in vivo, are essential to exploit fundamental 
knowledge for the development of drug candidates. As a consequence, both 
disciplines are more and more applied at an early stage of drug design to guide
synthetic strategies.

The course comprises basic and advanced aspects of lead finding, pharmacology 
and toxicology to provide research chemists in the pharmaceutical industry 
with the appropriate background for their daily practice. Topics include the 
impact of new research fields and techniques, such as molecular biology and 
molecular modelling, on drug research, as well as a thorough introduction in
pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics and molecular toxicology. New in the 4th 
School will be the topic of COMBINATORIAL CHEMISTRY and molecular diversity. 
In addition, three case histories will give a flavour of chance and strategy 
in drug development. Essential to the course is a workshop-like case-study 
('the design of a new drug') in which all participants are actively engaged.

Acclaims from participants to the previous schools: excellent documentation...;
case-study very useful....; very clear review of drug research today....; 
lectures very good....; beyond expectation....; intellectually most 
stimulating.            

COURSE DIRECTION 

Prof.dr. H. Timmerman, Director of Research Leiden/Amsterdam Center for Drug 
Research Head Department of Pharmacochemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, Vrije 
Universiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands. His research programme mainly concerns
the different histamine receptors and their ligands. He is a member of the 
editorial boards of several international journals and editor of the
series Pharmaco- chemistry Library (Elsevier) and Methods and Principles in 
Medicinal Chemistry (VCH). 

Dr. A.P. IJzerman Associate Professor, Division of Medicinal Chemistry, Leiden-
/Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Leiden University, The Netherlands. 
Dr. IJzerman supervises the receptor research group at the Center, and is 
involved in research on purinergic receptors and drug design.
He has ample experience in modern techniques to study ligand-receptor 
interactions, such as molecular model- ling/computer graphics. He is a referee 
to major international journals in pharmacology, medicinal chemistry and 
pharmaceutics.                                                           

REGISTRATION INFORMATION 

The course will be held at the Leeuwenhorst Congress Center, Noordwijkerhout, 
The Netherlands. Tel. 31 2523 77106. 
Hotel accommodation: A number of fully equipped single rooms have been
reserved at the Congress Center. 
Fee Individuals: Hfl. 2.500,-. This includes course documentation, mid-session 
refreshments, lunches, dinners and hotel accommodation with breakfast 
(3  nights).
Group fee: Hfl. 2.500,- for the first participant and Hfl. 2.250,- for the 
second and following participants from the same organization. 

Ph.D. students: Up to five Ph.D. students may attend the course for a reduced 
fee. A statement of the supervisor acknowledging the status of Ph.D. student 
should accompany the registration form.  

Registration and payment: It is advised to forward the registration form as 
soon as possible in view of the limited course capacity of 25 participants. 
Confirmation of registration will be returned upon receipt, together with an 
invoice for the course fee. Registration will not be final until payment is
received. The organization reserves the right to cancel the course should the 
number of registrations be lower than 12. Notice of cancellation, with a full 
refund, will be given before September 1995. 
Cancellations: Cancellations with a full refund may be made until September 1, 
1995. Cancellations between September 1 and October 1, 1995: 50% refund. No 
refund is possible on cancellations received after this date. Substitutions may
be made at any time. The official language of the course is English.                                                          

COURSE PROGRAMME 
Tuesday, October 24,  
9.30 - 10.00   Registration                     
Pharmacology  
10.00 - 11.00  Mathematics of receptor-ligand interaction          
               dr. A.P. IJzerman, Leiden, NL 
11.15 - 12.15  Receptor binding in industrial perspective          
               dr. M. Tulp, Weesp, NL 
13.30 - 14.30  Signal transduction and second messengers           
               prof.dr. A. Bast, Amsterdam NL
14.30 - 15.30  Selection of pharmacological models                 
               dr. C.L.E. Broekkamp, Oss, NL
16.00 - 17.00  Molecular biology in drug design                    
               dr. R. Leurs, Amsterdam NL 
20.30 - 21.30  Case history 'anti-migraine agents'                 
               dr. F.P. van de Wijngaert, Zeist, NL  

Wednesday, October 25                                                          
Pharmacology (cont).  
9.00 - 10.15   Clinical pharmacology: what happens to your molecule?           
               prof.dr. A.F. Cohen, Leiden, NL 
10.45 - 11.30  Case study in drug design: introduction             
               dr. N. de Hoog, Haarlem, NL 
11.30 - 12.30  The concept of drug selectivity                     
               prof.dr. H. Timmerman, Amsterdam,NL
13.30 - 17.30  Case study in drug design                           
               participants 
20.30 - 21.30  Case history 'Omeprazole'                           
               dr. P. Lindberg, Molndal, Sweden 

Thursday, October 26                     
Fate of drugs  
9.00 - 10.30   Introduction to the pharmacokinetics of drugs       
               dr. W. Meuldermans, Beerse, B
11.00 - 12.00  Toxicology in industry                              
               dr. W. Coussement, Beerse, B 
12.00 - 13.00  In vitro toxicology in drug research                
               prof.dr. G.J. Mulder, Leiden, NL          
           
Lead finding and optimization 
14.30 - 15.30  Combinatorial chemistry                             
               prof.dr. H.C.J. Ottenheijm, Oss, NL
16.00 - 17.00  Screening of biological materials                   
               dr. C.J. Latham, Slough, GB 
20.30 - 21.30  Case history 'neuromuscular blockers'               
               dr. L. van den Broek, Oss, NL  

Friday, October 27                     
Lead finding and optimization (cont.)  
9.00 - 10.00   3D-databases in drug design                          
               dr. S. van Helden, Oss, NL
10.30 - 11.30  Molecular modeling in drug design                   
               prof.dr. J. Tollenaere, Beerse, B
11.30 - 12.30  Novel targets for drug design                       
               prof.dr. F. Nijkamp, Utrecht, NL 
14.00 - 16.00  Case study in drug design: presentation             
               participants                                 

                            REGISTRATION FORM                                  
                IVth LACDR School on Medicinal Chemistry                       
                            24-27 October 1995  

Name: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
Organization: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
Position: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
Address:. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Postal Code:. . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . City: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
State/country:. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
Telephone:. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Telefax:. . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 
Date of arrival:           Date of Departure:             Signature:            

Return by fax or regular mail to: LACDR-Secretariat, c/o Mrs. F.J. Velthorst, 
P.O. Box 9502, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands Phone 31 71 274341; 
Fax 31 71 274277