Subject: Chemical Applications of Virtual Reality Modelling Language

From: [email-masked] (Rzepa,Henry)
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 12:41:00 +0000

The last two months or so has seen a rapid application of the so called VRML
3D scene description language to chemistry.   Some five sites to our
knowledge are
now offering interesting 3D chemical  "scenes", such as "navigable" 3D orbitals,
macromodels and small molecules. Because VRML also can have hyperlinks, the
possibilities for creating innovative 3D "documents" and courseware
is considerable.

If you have never seen VRML before, pay a visit to
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/VRML/

where a collection of chemically oriented VRML material and sites is available.
Currently, you will need a Unix workstation, but software for Windows and
PowerMacs is due out "real soon now".

If you know of any sites not in our list, please do let us know. As usual,
it is possible to keep up with new sites for the time being,
 but maybe in just a few months time it will become very difficult!

On a slightly different theme, has anyone produced any interesting
3D chemical material in Quicktime VR, an alternative 3D navigation protocol?

Dr Henry Rzepa, Department of Chemistry, Imperial College, LONDON SW7 2AY;
[email-masked] via Eudora 2.1.2; Tel  (44) 171 594 5774; Fax: (44) 171 594
5804.
World-Wide Web URL: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa.html