Subject: BABEL for Linux

From: "Hr Dr. S. Shapiro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 14:23:21 +0100 (MET)

Dear Colleagues;

     Does anyone know if the format conversion programme BABEL has been com-
piled for execution under Linux?  If so, kindly send details.

     Also, please send me the FTP site and the name of the subdirectory and
file of the source code for the latest version of BABEL.  (Don't send me
WWW home pages, because I don't have access to the WWW yet.)

     Thanks in advance to all responders.

Sincerely,,

(Dr.) S. Shapiro
ZH, CH
[email-masked]

---

From: Craig Taverner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 18:52:21 +0200 (GMT+0200)

> piled for execution under Linux?  If so, kindly send details.

Yes it has.  I've been using it successfully for a while.  Here's an 
extract from the README.BABEL:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
BABEL is a program designed to interconvert a number of file formats
currently used in molecular moldeling.  The program is available for
Unix (AIX, Ultrix, Sun-OS, Convex, SGI, Cray, Linux), MS-DOS, and on 
Macs running at least System 7.0.

...etc... stuff cut out ...

INSTALLATION OVERVIEW
Babel is avialiable via annonymous ftp from 
joplin.biosci.arizona.edu in pub/Babel

UNIX

The Unix version is in the file babel-1.04.tar.Z

1. uncompress babel-1.04.tar.Z
2. tar -xvf babel-1.04.tar 
3. follow the instructions in README.1ST

------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers, Craig

"If God had meant us to be naked, we would have been born that way."

Craig Taverner
Structural Chemistry, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa