Subject: Re: CCL:X11 over a modem

From: [email-masked] (Dr. Eric P. Wallis)
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 1995 14:32:27 +0100

I run X11 (using ExceedW) using Trumpet Winsock from home over a modem and
it works very well (although, on big graphics files, it get a little slow).
All I do is start the winsock and dial into my SLIP connection.  Once the
slip connection is running, I start ExceedW and it runs fine.  I set up my
ExceedW session and required that either the RSH (or REXEC) be the preferred
communication pipeline (I can't remember since I am at the office).  Also,
you have to set the display variable to your pc at the modem.  This can be
done by setting the display to the SLIP IP address.
If you need furthur help, let me know (my email address is listed below).

Eric
>Hi there!
>
>Thank-you for your enthusiastic responces to my request for help.  I feal 
>that I have not explained my self we enough - from some of the responces.
>
>I have already used X11 over Ethernet, using PC-nfs.  Also, once it runs 
>over ethernet, packets can be diverted through verious routers so that 
>X11 can be run over the internet. 
>
>My idea is to run X11 via a modem, over the internet.  Thus, I require a 
>way of getting my X11 software to communicate with a TCP/IP socket 
>coming from SLIP/PPP on a modem.
>
>At present, my software is Trumpet Winsock - to give the windows socket - 
>and ExceedW to give the X11 libuary routines and window manager required 
>to use X11. 
>
>I do not, however, have the faintest idea how to get ExceedW to use a 
>transport which will talk to my Windows socket - or even if such a thing 
>is possible.
>
>>From some of the responces, clearly modem use of X11 is possible with 
>Linuxs and with Trumpet Winsoc, but using other X11 libuaries than ExceedW.  
>Thus, I feel that we are getting close!!
>
>Should a solution to this problem be found, I shall be putting the 
>results on the WEBB.
>
>Thank-you for all your help - please don't stop.
>
>Kind regards to you all
>
>Alex
>
>
>+--------------------------------------------------+
>|Alternate E-mail [email-masked]            |
>|www home @ http://www.bath.ac.uk/~chpajt/home.html|
>+--------------------------------------------------+ 
>
>
>-------This is added Automatically by the Software--------
>-- Original Sender Envelope Address: [email-masked]
>-- Original Sender From: Address: [email-masked]
>[email-masked] -- everyone     | [email-masked] -- coordinator
>[email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY  | Gopher: www.ccl.net 73
>Anon. ftp www.ccl.net     | [email-masked] -- archive search
>http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html |     for info send: HELP SEARCH to MAILSERV
>
>
>

***************************************************************
* Eric P. Wallis, Ph.D                                        *
* Computational Chemistry                                     *
* Phillips Petroleum Company       Office  (918)-661-7956     *
* 331A PL PRC                      FAX:    (918) 662-1097     *
* Bartlesville, OK 74004           email:   [email-masked]      *
***************************************************************

---

From: A J Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 20:36:31 +0100 (BST)

Hi!

Thanks for your help.  I will start on that, probably at the weekend, and 
let you know how I get on.

All the best 

Alex