Subject: X11 over a modem

From: A J Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 18:27:06 +0100 (BST)

Hi there!

Thank-you for your enthusiastic responces to my request for help.  I feal 
that I have not explained my self we enough - from some of the responces.

I have already used X11 over Ethernet, using PC-nfs.  Also, once it runs 
over ethernet, packets can be diverted through verious routers so that 
X11 can be run over the internet. 

My idea is to run X11 via a modem, over the internet.  Thus, I require a 
way of getting my X11 software to communicate with a TCP/IP socket 
coming from SLIP/PPP on a modem.

At present, my software is Trumpet Winsock - to give the windows socket - 
and ExceedW to give the X11 libuary routines and window manager required 
to use X11. 

I do not, however, have the faintest idea how to get ExceedW to use a 
transport which will talk to my Windows socket - or even if such a thing 
is possible.

From some of the responces, clearly modem use of X11 is possible with 
Linuxs and with Trumpet Winsoc, but using other X11 libuaries than ExceedW.  
Thus, I feel that we are getting close!!

Should a solution to this problem be found, I shall be putting the 
results on the WEBB.

Thank-you for all your help - please don't stop.

Kind regards to you all

Alex

+--------------------------------------------------+
|Alternate E-mail [email-masked]            |
|www home @ http://www.bath.ac.uk/~chpajt/home.html|
+--------------------------------------------------+