Subject: Re: CCL:TCL/TK

From: [email-masked] (Hinsen Konrad)
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 18:13:18 -0400

Tcl without Tk does not really offer much over perl, or for that matter basic,

True, and Tk has been integrated into some other languages in the meantime,
which are more powerful (at least in my opinion). Examples are Scheme,
Perl and Python.

   really have the power to support scientific computing.  Smalltalk with
   graphical
   extensions is also a precursor, but most non-smalltalk programmers find the
   philosophy of smalltalk programming hard to deal with and the commercial

On the contrary, Smalltalk is one of my preferred languages. I'd really
like to have a similar environment, but suitable for scientific work
(i.e. for numerical work).

A combination that I consider very promising for scientific programming
is C++ with Python tied together with ILU. All three can be had
for free, and together they allow everything from high-performance
code to scripts to be written in a coherent object-oriented style.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: [email-masked]
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. A                | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------