Subject: UK Molecular Modelling Sites

From: Paddy Kane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 1995 20:32:41 +0000 (GMT)

The following is a summary of the replies that I received in answer to my query concerning those UK universities which specialise in Molecular Modelling:

   My thanks to the following people: 
Lesley Adams
John Upham 
Neil Hoare
Tim Mitchell
Prof. James Crabbe
Dr.| Karl F. Moschner
Erin Duffy
Dr Henry Rzepa
Akinori Hirashima 

Paddy

Paddy Kane
School of Chemical Sciences
Dublin City University
e.mail: [email-masked]

***************************Reply No. 1******************************
Paddy,

I know there is an MSc in "Computer modelling of molecular and bioloigcal processes" at Birkbeck College, University of London.

Regards
Lesley

------------------------------------------------------

Centre for Molecular Design
University of Portsmouth
U.K.
Tel: (44) 1705 843623
FAX: (44) 1705 842513
e-mail: [email-masked]

***************************Reply No. 2******************************
Try http://www.chem.rdg.ac.uk/g50/mmrg/mmrg.html

     I hope this helps !

John Upham, Dept. of Chemistry, University of Reading, Berks., RG6 2AD, UK.
Email: [email-masked] (Internet), scsupham@reading (JANET),
WWW URL:   http://www.chem.rdg.ac.uk/g50/mmrg/john/john.html
Voice: +44 1734 875123 x7451 (day), Fax: +44 1734 311610
TCP/IP talk: talk [email-masked]
*********************************************************************

***************************Reply No. 3******************************
21-JUN-1995 09:21:12.38

Dear Paddy,

Last week The Times did a rundown of PG courses - this may be of use.

Hope this helps,
	Neil

[email-masked]
University of Portsmouth
U.K.
*********************************************************************

***************************Reply No. 4******************************
From:	IN%"[email-masked]"  "Tim Mitchell-1" 21-JUN-1995 09:36:44.22

Paddy
 -- The University of Surrey (Guildford, Surrey, GU2 5XH) run an BSc course in "Computer-Aided Chemistry" which covers a fair amount of modelling. The contact at Surrey is Dr. David Povey

Tim Mitchell  SmithKline Beecham, Brockham Park, UK
*********************************************************************

***************************Reply No. 5******************************
From:	IN%"[email-masked]"  "James Crabbe" 21-JUN-1995 10:42:44.78

University of Reading, School of Animal and Microbial Sciences (contact Prof. James Crabbe)

University of Reading, Dept. of Chemistry (contact Dr. Mike Drew)

Institute of Food Research, University of Reading (contact Dr. Peter 
Goodenough)
*********************************************************************

***************************Reply No. 6******************************
Several schools which have a strong interest molecular modeling include:

Imperial College
Oxford U.
Cambrideg U.
Manchester
Glascow U. - they just installed or are installing a Cray T3D

Also check with the London and particularly the Daresbury (home of 
GAMESS-UK) Supercomputing Centers and try identifying researchers and their universities through their publications and participation in meetings over the past 2 years.

Good luck!  Karl
 _______________________________________________________________________Comments are those of the author and not Unilever Research U. S.      || 
| Karl F. Moschner, Ph. D.                                              | e-mail: [email-masked] | 
 
| Unilever Research U. S.
| 45 River Road Edgewater, 
| NJ 07020          
| Phone:  (201) 943-7100 x2629             | FAX:    (201) 943-5653                   | 
\____________________________________________________________________

*********************************************************************

***************************Reply No. 7******************************
27-JUN-1995 19:26:42.20
Full-Name: Erin Duffy

Hi, Paddy -  A contemporary of mine has recently taken a
    position at Southampton after having completed his
    D.Phil. with Graham Richards at Oxford and a NATO
    postdoctoral stint with Bill Jorgensen at Yale.  He
    may be contacted via e-mail:  [email-masked].  I
    guess I forgot to mention his name, which is Jonathan
    Essex.  Anyway, there you have it.  Best of luck.  - Erin
    (oh, such fine Irish names!)

Erin Duffy
e.mail: [email-masked]"  "Erin Duffy 

*********************************************************************

***************************Reply No. 8******************************
Browse around a few Web sites. This will give you a very good idea of
what is being done!  From most, you can get links to the others!

Ours is http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/

Dr Henry Rzepa, Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, London, SW7 2AY.
Tel:  +44 171 594 5774. Fax: +44 171 594 5804. E-mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa.html             Sent using Eudora 2.1.
*********************************************************************

*********************Reply No.9**************************************
   The following is a list of the non-USA web sites related to chemistry posted to the CCL by Akinori Hirashima. They may not be all UK sites and many of them may not be related to Molecular Modelling.

From: [email-masked] ()

>I would like to add non-USA sites to USA sites reported in my previous summary:

http://www.shef.ac.uk/uni/academic/A-C/chem/chemistry-www-sites.html
http://www.uia.ac.be/u/thys/chem.html
http://www.ch.cam.ac.uk/ChemSites.html
http://www.uia.ac.be/u/thys/chem.html
http://hackberry.chem.niu.edu:70/0/webpage.html
http://www.chem.vt.edu/Yip/www.html
http://boris.qub.ac.uk/edward/index.html
http://wwwhost.cc.utexas.edu/world/instruction/index.html
http://www.rpi.edu/dept/chem/cheminfo/chemres.html
http://www.yahoo.com/Science/Chemistry/
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/chejs/chem.html
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/GIC/
http://www.oxmol.co.uk
http://www.csc.fi/lul/chem/graphics.html
http://www.rpi.edu/dept/chem/cheminfo/chemres.html
http://galaxy.einet.net/galaxy/Science/Chemistry.html
http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/IRL/ANIM/Anim.html#anims
http://strange.engr.washington.edu/index.html
http://www.geom.umn.edu/
http://csdvx2.ccdc.cam.ac.uk/
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/Libs/Chem/first/mallet.html
http://www.polymers.com/phoenix.html
http://pctc.chemie.uni-erlangen.de/fakultaet/chemie.html
http://www.pc.chemie.th-darmstadt.de/
http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/index.html
http://tci002.uibk.ac.at:80/noy/
http://www.chem.csiro.au/
http://www.uia.ac.be/u/thys/index.html
http://www.netlib.org/index.html
http://wucmd.wustl.edu/index.html
http://www.jungle.com/
http://CHEDR.IDBSU.EDU/
http://atlas.nlm.nih.gov:5700/Entrez/version2/medline.html
http://www.dcl.co.il/conf_clust.html
http://www.ccc.uni-erlangen.de/info/OML/about-OML.html
http://btm2xd.mat.uni-bayreuth.de/match/
http://www-kun.sci.kun.nl:80/sigma/
http://www.ucg.ie/chem/chemdept.htm
http://http1.brunel.ac.uk:8080/depts/chem/
http://wavefun.com/
http://www.i2020.net/edusoft/hint.html
http://www.che.chalmers.se/welcome.html
http://www.biochem.mpg.de/
http://derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de/ccc-welcome.html
http://scsg9.unige.ch/eng/toc.html
http://rchs1.uni-regensburg.de:80/preprint.html
[email-masked] (Akinori Hirashima)

*********************************************************************