Subject: Last Call - INT.CONF. FOR MOL.STRUCT.BIOL. - Vienna 95

From: "Hellfried Schreiber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 12:25:58 -0600

There is a opportunity to sumbit late-braking abstracts for presentation at the

    >> INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MOLECULAR STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY <<

              Vienna (Austria), September 17-20, 1995

================================================================================
================= the DEADLINE is the 7th of AUGUST,
1995.======================
================================================================================

For details see below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    >> INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MOLECULAR STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY <<

             Organized by the Austrian Chemical Society

              Vienna (Austria), September 17-20, 1995

TOPICS:

      1) The Impact of Molecular Biology on Structural Biology
      2) Biomolecular Structure Determination
                  a) X-Ray Diffraction
                  b) NMR Spectroscopy
      3) Dynamics and Function of Biomolecules
      4) Computational Methods
      5) Protein Engineering and Design

VIENNA:

	The organisers would like to invite you to a new conference in the
rapidely expanding field of molecular structural biology. The conference will
take place in Vienna, home of waltz, the capital of a fomrer great empire, one
of the three centres of the United Nations and a leading host city in the
world for important meetings and conferences. Scientific topics to be
presented at this conference will highlight the state-of-the-art in
biomolecular
structure determination in its context of molecular biology, medicine and
pharmacology. Scientists from both basic and industrial research are highly
welcome to present their results to an interested and enthusiastic audience.
In addition to the conference itself, you could take time to explore the
wonderful city of Vienna, perhaps wandering through the elegant parks in their
autumnal colours before soaking up the rich atmosphere of the renowned Viennese
cafes. A reception with the mayor in the historic Rathaus at the end of the
first day of presentations will provide a taste of the rich Viennese culture
waiting to be discovered.

ORGANISING COMMITTEE:

	A.Kungl, P.Andrews, B.Habermann, H.Schreiber, A.Schrenk

SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE:

	Chairman: P.Schuster
	M.Breitenbach, C.Kratky, P.Andrews, H.Schreiber
	A.Kungl

IN COOPERATION WITH

	Austrian Academy of Sciences
	Federal Ministry of Economy
	Federal Ministry of Science and Research

SPONSORED BY

	Wirtschaftskammer Oesterreich

SCIENTIFIC PROGRAMME:

The scientific programme is designed to cover a broad range of disciplines in
molecular structural biology. Topics will be presented in the form of plenary
lectures, posters, discussions and exhibitions.

Sunday, (17.9)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Registration
    Welcome Cocktail
    Honory Lecture by H.Neurath

Monday, (18.9)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The impact of Molecular Biology on Structural Biology

	C.Cantor (USA) "Application of Streptavidin and
		Genetically Engineered Variants"
	T.Blundell (GB) "Protein Super Families: Genome
		Analyses and Drug Discovery"

2. Biomolecular Structure Determination

   a) X-Ray Crystallography

	R.Huber (D) "Proteolytic Enzymes and Their Natural
		Inhibitors - New Functions and New Structures
		and No End in Sight"
	M.Walkinshaw (CH) "Structures and Biological
		Implications of Series of Cyclophilin-Cyclosporin
		Crystal Complexes"
	I.Schlichting (D) "Ligand Binding in Heme Proteins
		Studied by Kinetic X-Ray Crystallography"

Tuesday (19.9.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

   b) NMR Spectroscopy

	O.Jardetzky (USA) "Flexibility and Function in a DNA
		Binding Protein - the Trp-Repressor of E.Coli"
	P.Roesch (D) "The Structure of Iron-Sulfur Proteins
		in Solution"
	C.Dobson (GB) "The Structural Basis of Protein Folding"

3. Dynamics and Function of Biomolecules

	J.Lakowicz (USA) "Fluorescence Spectroscopic Studies
		of the Structure and Dynamics of Biomolecules"
	W.Kuehlbrandt (D) "Structure Determination of Membrane
		Proteins by High-Resolution Electron Microscopy"
        H.Frauenfelder (USA) "Dynamics and Function of Biomolecules"

Wednesday (20.9.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Computational Methods

	M.Karplus (USA) "Simulations of Protein Folding From the
		Native to the Denatured State and Back Again"
	J.Skolnick (USA) "A Hierarchial Approach to the Prediction
		of Protein Structures"
	H.-J.Boehm (D) "New Computational Tools for Structure
		Based Drug Design"

5. Protein Engineering and Design

	A.Fersht (GB) "Pathways of Protein Folding"
	L.Presta (USA) "Protein Engineering of Immunoglobulins and
		Immunoglobulin-Like Domains"
        M.Mutter (CH) "De Novo Protein Design"

CALL FOR POSTERS
-----------------

	All those intending to participate in the conference are invited
to submit posters presenting original work.
Abstracts prepared according to the instructions given below should arrive

			NOT LATER THAN AUGUST 7th, 1995.

The authors will be informed about the provisional acceptance in July, 1995.
The presentation of the posters will be finally approved and thus the
contribution included in the Book of Abstracts when at least one of the
registers before August 1st, 1995. Contributors of outstanding posters will
be chosen by the scientific committee to give a 20 minute lecture.

Abstracts:
	Camera-ready single-page abstacts of posters should start with the
title of the contribution followed by the author(s) name(s), affiliation(s)
and address(es). Abstracts must be typed within an area 16cm wide and 24cm
long,
centred on a sheet of (about) A4 size (210mm x 297mm). The chosen topic must
be assigned by stating its title (see list of topics) in the top right margin.
The abstracts should be sent unfolded to the conference secreteriat.

Proceedings:
	Invited lectures presented at the conference will be published in
book form. All authors will receive in due course instructions for preparing
the manuscript (for type-setting, not camera-ready). The deadline for
submitting manuscripts is June 30, 1995.

Posters:
	The size of the posters board is 0.9m (width) x 1.5m (height). All
posters will be numbered according to their order in the book abstracts.
Thumbtacks, tape and markers will be available in the poster area.

Head of Scientific Committee:         P.Schuster

GENERAL INFORMATION:
--------------------

EXHIBITON

       An exhibition of instruments, accessories, software, literature and
other items is planned. Companies interested in displaying their products
are kindly requested to contact the conference secretariat.

INDUSTRIAL SATELLITE MEETING

       A half day industrial symposium is planned. Those companies
who are interested in presenting up-to-date results obtained on their
products in the form of 20 minute lectures are kindly requested to
contact the conference secretariat.

SOCIAL EVENTS

	The conference will be opened by the welcome cocktail and
buffet in the rooms of the Austrian Bundeswirtschaftskammer on Sunday
evening, September 17. On Monday, September 18, the mayor of Vienna will
invite the conference participants to the historical Viennese Rathaus. A
piano concert will take place on Tuesday, September 19, in the hall of the
Austrian Gewerbeverein. A farewell evening at a typical Austrian wine tavern
is planned for the evening of Wednesday, September 20. Activities for
accompanying persons will include cultural events and visits to places of
general interest.

REGISTRATION

	To enjoy the early rates, please complete the enclosed Registration
Form and send it to the conference secreteriat before August 1, 1995.

Registration Fees:
		 	   before August 1		after August 1

	Regular Participant   4000 ATS			   4500 ATS
	GOeCH Member          3500 ATS			   4000 ATS
	Student               2000 ATS			   2300 ATS
	Accompanying Persons   500 ATS			    700 ATS

The registration desk will be open from 2 p.m. on Sunday, September 17.

	The registration fee includes the Book of Abstracts, the
welcome cocktail and buffet, the invitation to the Viennese Rathaus,
a ticket for the piano concert, coffee breaks and tram tickets.

! Meals and accomodation are not included in the registration fee! Tickets
for lunch will be available for 190ATS/meal/person (see Registration Form).
For accomodation please fill in and return the enclosed flyer of the travel
agency MONDIAL CONGRESS to the address given.

Remittance of Fees:
	Remittance must be made in Austrian Schillings (ATS) payalbe to
the Gesellschaft Oesterreichischer Chemiker, Abeitsgruppe Biophysikalische
Chemie, account number 0043-19265/o4 at Bank Creditanstalt, banking code 11000.
Payment is also accepted by sending (Euro-)Cheque to the conference secreteriat
or by filling in the credit card form (Visa, Euro/Mastercard, Dinersclub and
American Express are accepted).
	All charges due to bank transfer have to be paid by the sender. The
sender's name and address have to be marked clearly on every remittance.

Canellation:
	Applications may be cancelled up to August 15, in which case 85%
refund of fees already paid will be made. It will not be possible to offer
any refunds if cancellations are received after that date.

Key dates:
---------

	June 30		deadline for submitting poster abstracts and
			manuscripts
	August 1	deadline for early registration fee
	August 15	deadline for cancellation

Location:
---------

	Wirtschaftskammer Oesterreich (Julius Raab Saal)
	Wiedner Hauptstrasse 63
	A-1040 Vienna

Conference Secretariat:
----------------------

      Gesellschaft Oesterreichischer Chemiker
      AG Biophysikalische Chemie
      Dr. Andreas Kungl
      Nibelungengasse 11
      A-1010 Wien, Austria
      Tel.: (43) 1 587249
      FAX.: (43) 1 587966
      e-mail: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________________________________________

REGISTRATION FORM:

Surname........................First Name .....................Title...........
Institution/Company............................................................
Departement....................................................................
Street....................................Town.................................
Country...................................Post Code............................
Tel.Nr....................................Fax Nr...............................
e-mail.........................................................................

I am a(n)   ...Abstract Submitter	...Invited Speaker
	    ...Regular Participant	...GOECH-Member		...Student

Title of Poster/Lecture........................................................
...............................................................................

...I will require ...Mo ...Tue ...Wed	lunch tickets (190 ATS/meal/person)
(Payment should accompany registration)

Method of Payment: ...Bank Transer to Bank Creditanstalt
		      account number 0043-19265/04, bank code 11000
		   ...(Euro-)Cheque payalbe to Gesellschaft Oesterreichischer
		      Chemiker,
		'International Conference on Molecular Structural Biology'
		   ...Credit Card   ...Visa   ...Euro/Master ...American
Express
		   ...Diners Club

		 Card Number..................Expiry Date......................
		 signature of the cardholder ..................................

Date........................Signature..........................................

_______________________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________
	International Conference on Molecular Structural Biology
	  Bundeswirtschaftskammer, Vienna, September 17-20, 1995
  Hotel Accomodation, All-Inclusive Flight Arrangements, Social Program for
  accompanying persons
			REGISTRATION FORM

Please return a copy of the completed form to:
MONDIAL CONGRESS
Faulmanngasse 4
A-1040 Vienna
Tel: (43) 1 588 04 -113 or -115
Fax: (43) 1 586 91 85

Mr....	Mrs....

Acad.Degree:..........First Name:................Family Name:................
Dept./Inst.:.......................Street:...................................
Postal Code:..........City:......................Country:....................
Phone:.............................Fax:......................................

Hotel Accomodation	...single room		...double room	   deposit
 ...Category*****   ATS	     2170		     2530	ATS  2500
 ...Category****    ATS  1360 to 1600		 1980 to 2110	ATS  2000
 ...Category***	    ATS	  690 to 1050		  890 to 1650   ATS  1000
 ...Summerhotels*** ATS	  550 to  600		  760 to  800   ATS   500
 ...Summerhotels**  ATS       260		      400	ATS   500

Date of arrival:.......... Date of departure:.......... Hotel deposit:
ATS______

To secure your hotel reservation we kindly ask you to provide us with the
deposit listed above. Mondial Congress will be glad to make individual offers
for any other hotel upon request.
To enable us to book a room for you, please return the attached form and remit
the requested deposit by August 4, 1995. You will receive written conformation
of your reservation. Shoud the desired hotel category no longer be available,
we
will do our utmost to offer similar accommodation. This may, however, mean a
change of price category.

... Please send me information about the all-inclusive-flight-arrangements (see
program) and idicate date of arrival, date of departure and place of departure.

Terms of Hotel Cancellation:
	In case of cancellation or change in bookings, a minimum fee of ATS 500
/person will be charged. For cancellation after August 4, 1995, the hotel
deposit will be forfeited. Cancellations or changes must be made in written
form.

PROGRAM FOR ACCOMPANYING PERSONS
						   No. of Persons
... 'Historical Vienna', Monday, Sept. 18, 1995    ______________   ATS   320
... 'Art Noveau in Vienna', Monday, Sept. 18, 1995 ______________   ATS   340
... 'Excursion to the Danube Valley Wachau',
     Tuesday, Sept. 19, 1995			   ______________   ATS   690
... 'City Walk with a visit to a Viennese Coffee
     House', Wednesday, Sept. 20, 1995             ______________   ATS   430
EVENING PROGRAM
... Farewell Evening at an Austrian wine tavern
    "Heurigen", Wednesday, Sept. 20, 1995          ______________   ATS   590

						  GRAND TOTAL     ATS_________

TERMS OF PAYMENT
... remittance to our bank account no. 107-109-499 with the Bank Austria,
    Wiedner Hauptstrasse, A-1040 Vienna, bank code 12000 "free of charge with
    the beneficiary"
... send a Eurocheque to MONDIAL CONGRESS, Faulmanngasse 4, 1040 Vienna,
together
    with a copy of the registration form
... Credit Card (please make sure that this form is signed by the credit card-
    holder)
    ... Diners Club    ... American Express    ... Euro/Mastercard    ...Visa
    Credit Card No.:...............................Expiry Date:..............

   Signature of the cardholder:..............................................

Date:____________________________ Signature:___________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________________

ALL INCLUSIVE FLIGHT ARRANGEMENTS
	MONDIAL CONGRESS, in cooperation with the Austrian Airlines and other
IATA-carriers is in a position to offer moderately priced all-inclusive flight
arrangements to the participants of this congress.
These arrangements include the following services: Roundtrip, economy class on
regular flights, 20kg (44lbs) luggage allowance, 5 nights, accomodation at
**** or *** category hotels in double rooms with private bath and shower,
breakfast, service charges, local taxes as well as the transfer airport -
hotel.

SOCIAL PROGRAM FOR ACCOMPANYING PERSONS
September 18, 1995
------------------
	'Historical Vienna'
	   This tour will show you some of Vienna's most impressive sights
including the Ringstrasse with the State Opera House, the National Museums, the
Parliament, the City Hall, the Burgtheater, the University and the Votiv
Church.
Highlight of the tour is a visit to the imperial apartments of Schoenbrunn
Palace,
the former residence of the Austrian Emperors. On your way back you will pass
Belvedere Palace.
Duration: 9:00-12:00
Price per person, incl. bus, entrance fees and guide:		ATS 320

September 18, 1995
------------------
	'Art Noveau in Vienna'
	   On this tour you will become acquainted with some of the most
important and wellknown buildings of the "Art Noveau" era in Vienna, as well as
with some of its great architecs, e.g. Otto Wagner, Josef Hoffmann or Adolf
Loos. Highlight of this tour is a visit to the church "Kirche am Steinhof",
which
has been excellently restored only recently.
Duration: 14:00-17:00
Price per person, incl. bus, entrance fees and guide:		ATS 340

September 19, 1995
------------------
	'Excursion to the Danube Valley Wachau'
	   This trip takes you directly to Melk where you will visit the
Benedictine Abbey with its famous library and ceiling-frescos. Lunch will be
served in the "Stiftstaverne". After lunch we board the steamer going down
stream to Duernstein. We round up our excursion with a city stroll through this
pittoresque little town with its romantic narrow streets and the well known
castle where King Richard Lionhearted was imprisoned.
Duration: approx. 8h
Price per person, incl. bus, guide, lunch and admission fees	ATS 690

September 20, 1995
------------------
	'City walk with a visit to a Viennese Coffee House'
	   Walking tour through the Hofburg, the imperial winter residence of
the Habsburg, and the Treasury, where the insignia of the Holy Roman Empire and
the crown of the Austrian Empire illustrate European history. After the visit
of
the magnificent hall of the National Library, the tour will finish in a typical
Austrian coffee shop, where you will taste a "Sachertorte" with coffee or tea.
Duration: 14:00-17:00
Price per person, incl. guide, entrance fees, coffee and cake:	ATS 430

September 20, 1995
------------------
	'Farewell evening at an Austrian wine tavern - "Heurigen"'
	   Departure 19:30 from the conference venue. The bus will take you to
a wine tavern situated in one of the best known wine growing villages of
Vienna.
There you will spend an enjoyable evening at the end of this conference with
a lavish dinner, wine and typical Viennese music.
Duration: 19:30-23:00
Price per person, incl. dinner, 1/2l of wine, mineral water, musical
entertainement and bus						ATS 590

MONDIAL CONGRESS reserves the right to cancel the tours before the beginning
of the congress, should the minimum number of 20 participants not be reached.
All tours are subject to change!

MONDIAL also offers tickets to concerts and plays in Vienna. If you are
interested in some more information please do not hesitate to contact us.

-- 

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|                                                                             |
|                           Hellfried Schreiber, Ph.D.                        |
|                                                                             |
+---------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
|                                       |                                     |
|  Institute for Theoretical Chemistry  |                                     |
|  Theoretical Biochemistry Group       |   Mail:  [email-masked]  |
|  Waehrigerstrasse 17                  |   Voice: +43 1 40480 - 618          |
|  A-1090 Wien, Austria, Europe         |   FAX:   +43 1 4028525              |
|                                       |                                     |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+