Subject: Summary: software for cluster analysis

From: [email-masked] (Dr. Dave Winkler)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 14:32:38 +1000

Here is the summary of responses to the query requesting information on
cluster analysis software for the Mac.

I was requesting software for statistical cluster analysis and plotting of
dendrograms.  I was not aware that these terms have meaning in molecular
biology and relate to sequence alignment and drawing of phylogenic trees.
Many of the responses related to this application.  I will only summarize
the stats applications.  I will send the molecular biology responses to
anyone who contacts me, although MacClade seemed the most popular
freeware/shareware response.

STATISTICAL CLUSTER ANALYSIS AND DENDROGRAMS

The most frequent response was to suggest the JMP package from SAS
Institute.  I obtained a demo version and its seemed quite good.

Also suggested was Wishart's CLUSTAN (not suitable for Mac), and the
cluster ananlysis and dendrogram capabilities of Sybyl (which I already use
and find very good, but are not portable enough to use when I travel).

Apart from MacDendro/MacMul etc which I found sufficiently unstable to
prompt the initial request, there seems to be nothing available on the net
as freeware/shareware.

Thanks to all who responded to my query.

Cheers,

Dave

Dr. David A. Winkler                            Voice: 61-3-542-2244
Principal Research Scientist                    Fax:   61-3-543-8160
CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers        CSIRO: http://www.csiro.au
Private Bag 10,Rosebank MDC, Clayton, Australia       http://www.chem.csiro.au