Subject: Third Albany Conference on Computational Biology

From: George Berg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 1995 02:07:37 -0400 (EDT)

CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

	    3rd Albany Conference on Computational Biology
       "Phylogenetic & Structural Relationships Among Proteins"

		     September 28-October 1, 1995

	Rensselaerville Conference Center, Rensselaerville, NY

The WWW description of the conference is available as:
	http://www.cs.albany.edu/albany_conference95/

This interdisciplinary meeting will be the third in our series of
Albany Conferences on Computational Biology, and will be held
September 28 - October 1, 1995 in Rensselaerville near Albany, New
York.  Like the two predecessors ("Converging Approaches in
Computational Biology" in 1990 and "Patterns of Biological
Organization" in 1992), the aim of this conference is to explore the
computational tools and approaches being developed in diverse fields
within biology, with emphasis this year on phylogeny as apparent in
relationships on the molecular level.

The conference will be designed to provide an environment for a frank
and informal exchange among scientists and mathematicians that is not
normally possible within the constraints of topical, single-discipline
meetings.  The theme of the conference, "Phylogenetic and Structural
Relationships Among Proteins", will be developed in five sessions: 3-D
Structural Relationships Among Proteins, Sequence-Structure Interface,
Data Bases, Phylogenetic Methods, and Applications to Molecular
Evolution.  Leading specialists in the various disciplines have been
invited, with the degree of involvement in novel computational
approaches as one of the most important criteria of selection.
Speakers will include:

       Joel Sussman (Keynote Speaker): Brookhaven National Laboratory,
                    Weizmann Institute of Science
       Steven Benner: ETH, Zurich, Switzerland
       Stephen Bryant: NIH, Computational Biology Branch                   
       Cyrus Chothia: MRC, Cambridge, England
       G. Brian Golding: McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
       David Hillis: University of Texas, Austin, TX
       Charles Lawrence: Wadsworth Center, Albany, NY
       Peter Munson: NIH, Analytical Biostatistics Section
       Spencer Muse: Penn State University
       Chris Sander: European Bioinformatics Institute, EMBL
       Caro-Beth Stewart: University at Albany
       Arlin Stoltzfus: Dalhousie University
       Jeffrey Thorne: North Carolina State University       
       Shoshana Wodak: Univ Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium

Registration information can be obtained by directly contacting the
conference coordinator:

Carole A. Keith
Center for Molecular Genetics & 1995 Albany Conference
BIO 126 
University at Albany
1400 Washington Avenue        Phone: 518/442-4327 
Albany, NY 12222 USA          FAX: 518/442-4354 
                              Email: [email-masked]

Information about the meeting sessions and format can be obtained from
the following members of the organizing committee:

Joachim Frank (co-chair), Wadsworth Center
518-474-7002
[email-masked]

Carmen Mannella (co-chair), Wadsworth Center
518-474-2462
[email-masked]

Jacquelyn Fetrow
518-442-4389
[email-masked]

Charles Lawrence, Wadsworth Center
518-473-3382
[email-masked]

Caro-Beth Stewart, University at Albany
518-442-4342
[email-masked]