Subject: Benchmarks

From: Charles Letner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 18:31:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everyone,
	I would like to start adding some basic benchmarking to some code
I have (both C/C++ and fortran).  But I have a couple of question.  First,
what are your opinions on various benchmarks.  For example, cpu time could
be one benchmark.  However I see this as problematic.  I'm working on
moving code to parallel machines.  CPU time doesn't appear to me to take
into account that the code could potentially take up more cpu time due to
overhead involved in running multipule cpus while executing much faster in
terms of "wall clock" time, ie/ user time.  Mflops seems like an
alternative that would overcome this but may be harder to implement.
	This brings me to my second question.  How are you implementing
these methods into your code?  I'd be interested in function calls,
libraries, etc... that could be used at runtime.  I would like
to have methods that are portable across different plateforms as the
ultimate idea is to compare benchmarks of actual runs on multipule
plateforms.  I would also be interested in any references on this topic.
	I sincerely appretiate any time you take in responding.  I will
summarize any responses to the net towards the end of next week.
Regards,
Chuck

Charles Letner
Wright State University
Department of Biochemistry
Dayton, OH 45435
e-mail: [email-masked]