Subject: Question about charged micellar spheres

From: "Hr Dr. S. Shapiro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 10:33:43 +0100 (MET)

Dear Colleagues;

     A question has arisen for which I am seeking a definitive answer.

     Suppose there are two sets of positively-charged spherical micelles
one "big" and one "small", and these micelles are capable of binding to a
surface.  It stands to reason that when two such positively-charged micelles
bind to a surface they will not come right up against one another because
they will be repulsed by their mutual positively-charged surfaces.  Now, if
the _density_ of charges on the surface of the spheres is the same (i.e.,
both the big micelles and the small micelles have the same number of positive
charges per unit surface area), will two small micelles be able to sit closer
to one another than two large micelles, i.e., will there be greater repulsive
forces between two large micelles resulting in their sitting further away
from one another than between the two smaller micelles?

     In addition to a direct answer, any references bearing on this problem
would be appreciated.  If you could explain the answer to this problem in a
straightforward mathematical way, I would be most grateful.

     Thanks in advance to all responders.

Sincerely,

S. Shapiro
ZH
[email-masked]