Subject: Semiempirical symposium at New Orleans ACS meeting in 1996

From: "Andy Holder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1995 14:44:41 -0500

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

   I am in the process of preparing a presenter's list for the "Semiempirical 
Methods: Do They Have a future?" symposium that I have been asked to organize 
at the 1996 Spring ACS meeting in New Orleans.  My ambition is to have a large 
symposium discussing all aspects of APPLICATIONS of semiempirical methodology, 
and where it fits into the computational chemistry big picture.  Since John 
McKelvey is organizing a symposium on parameterization and theory at the 
immediately preceding meeting (August 1995 in Chicago), I think it would be 
useful for this set of talks to focus on how we USE semiempirical methods and 
how we WILL USE them in the future.  Thus the title of the symposium.   
   I have already collected a set of very important and worthwhile speakers 
(of which, I, of course am not included, see below), but I would like to open 
up the symposium for a few contributed talks and a poster session on the same 
topic, if there is enough interest.
   Note also that I have spoken with Cliff Dykstra at IUPUI and he has agreed 
to do a special issue of THEOCHEM with papers from the symposium.  The FIRM 
DEADLINE for the receipt of papers in my hands will be one month after the 
symposium.
   If you would like to present a poster or talk (first-come, first-served on 
these) please let me know as soon as possible.  The deadline for abstracts in 
MY HANDS is October 20, 1995, so please be aware of the time constraints under 
which we are operating.  Also, please let me know your preference for oral or 
poster and whether are not you are interested in contributing your work to the 
THEOCHEM issue.

I look forward to a scientifically meaningful and interesting meeting.

Please feel free to pass this on to colleagues that do not subscribe to any of 
the several mail exploders on which I posted this message.  Also, please 
excuse me for multiple copies if you get it from more than one place.

Best regards, Andy Holder

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 
UUUU  UUU MMM   MMKK KKKK   CCCC   |           ANDREW J. HOLDER
 UU    U   MM   MMK   K    CC  CC  | Asst. Prof. of Comp./Org. Chemistry
 UU    U   MMM M MK KK    CCC      |          Dept. of Chemistry
 UU    U   M MM  MK   KK   CC  CC  |  University of Missouri-Kansas City
  UUUUU   MMM M MMKK   KK   CCCC   |         Kansas City, MO  64110
                        KK         |          [email-masked]
                          K        |  (816) 235-2293, FAX (816) 235-5502
 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
 
Current Confirmed Speakers

James J.P. Stewart  *  Stewart Computational Chemistry
George Famini  *  US Army ERDEC
Charles Reynolds  *  Rohm & Haas Research Corp.
William Welsh  *  Univ. of Missouri-St. Louis
Kerwin Dobbs  *  DuPont
Robert Pearlman  *  University of Texas at Austin
Michael Zerner  *  U. of Florida
Yvonne Martin  *  Abbott Laboratories
Douglas Dudis  *  Wright Patterson AFB
Joe Dannenberg  *  Hunter College, CUNY
Donald B. Boyd  *  Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis
David Danovich  *  The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
George Ford  *  Southern Methodist Univ.
Christopher J. Cramer  *  University of Minnesota
Donald Truhlar  *  University of Minnesota
Daniel Liotard  *  Univ. Bordeaux
Eamon Healy  *  St. Edwards Univ.